good good good no vibrations

There is a great spreadsheet here somewhere if you look that lets you play with most variables in the drivetrain.

IIRC 17-30 basicly converts 4th into 5 ,3rd into 4th etc. It makes 5th a overdrive.

Six months after I first bought Old Brown in the 1970's she got a 32 tooth sprocket . Never looked back. Big difference in Houston's 80+ mph traffic. For one thing it makes first gear usable in stop and go traffic. Once your in second everything is pretty much the same, just a gear lower. Once she got the 750 kit she was much faster than the stock gearing to 30 mph.

The race bike had 18-30 and while 1st was pretty tall, I was in first for maybe 5 seconds at the start and my lap times dropped by 6 seconds a lap at Texas World. The race bike was broken in on a 300 mile trip to Laredo chasing a buddy on a 900 Kawa on US 59 through a whole lot of small towns. We averaged over 90 most of the way and when I got home old Brown was gifted a 18 tooth countershaft sprocket. I don't recommend a 18 because of the possible havoc it could cause to some very important bits around the countershaft sprocket.

I think bottom line is where you ride. Here in west Texas the Interstate average speed is somewhere north of of 90. Even riding the 2 lane back roads here the speeds are often 80 or better. The stock gearing is pretty buzzy at that speed.

I have that spreadsheet somewhere. If I can find it perhaps we can put in the tech forum so that it would easier to find.

Found my modified gearing spreadsheets.
The actual spreadsheets are in this link
Jacks file downloads

The main difference from pete's is the orange box allows you to enter any speed and see the revs in each gear.

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 2.17.57 PM.png

The second one allows a comparison of different sprocket configs.

Screen Shot 2023-07-11 at 2.27.29 PM.png

Last edited:
As an aside going from 17 to 18 on the countershaft is the same as going from 34 to 32 on the back.

Kevin, yes.
Takes a few trips around to hit the same tooth/tooth reducing wear and eventual harmonics.
Final drive may not matter since it's lower speed, cam to crank is important, 18/36 is idiotic.

cliff
Why is 18 36 so different from 17 34? Or is it?

I think harmonic is being confused with "resonance" here. A 2 to 1 ratio can create a second (or first higher) harmonic vibration. That in itself isn't necessarily dangerous or harmful.
A resonant frequency on the other hand, can be quiet destructive. But a resonant frequency isn't necessarily a harmonic frequency. The two don't normally go hand in had. Resonance depends on the natural frequency of the materiel/medium being discussed. A harmonic frequency is a ratio of the original frequency. Yes, a cam/crank ratio is 2 to 1. it's the nature of the beast. As long as it doesn't excite a resonance in itself, we're all good.

Hell, you could have 100 teeth on the cam and 50 on the crank.... it's still 2/1. As long as we don't upset a natural resonance, we're good... press on.

Last edited:
For a chain it helps to have an odd number of teeth especially on the smaller front sprocket. There are 2 types of connections between rollers on a chain, one that is fixed where the spacing between rollers never changes and the other where wear causes the spacing to increase. Having an odd number of teeth distributes the wear more evenly because a particular tooth runs over both types oconnections as long as you don't have a half link in the chain. No idea how much difference it makes...

Back