Goodbye to Castrol GTX 10W40?

mrtwowheel

Honda Etched On Brain
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure about this, but it looks like Castrol has discontinued the GTX 10W40. It has always been spared the friction modifiers because it was considered "motorcycle oil". The last few times that I have gone looking for it, it's getting harder to find. I suspect with Castrol's motorcycle specific oils coming out they have dropped the GTX 10W40. Chances are it is the same oil under a different label at a higher price now. What am I gonna do? Walmart Super Tech 10W40 seems to be the only replacement for me now.

Scott

Hi Scott,
Rotella 15W40 Diesel engine oil?

That is a possibility. Problem is that the GTX was "tried and true" for me, decades of use with no clutch problems, no sludge and virtually no sign of wear in these engines. After my great experience with GTX in motorcycles it is the only oil I use in small car engines, the GTX with friction modifiers. My Pontiac Vibe, designed by Toyota and assembled by GM, just turned 300,000 miles, no work done except for brakes, tires and oil.

Scott

I FOUND A NEW SOURCE!!!!!! Rural King, currently $14.99 for a 5 qt. jug. I expect that to fluctuate from $12.99 to $16.99.

So, curse that glorified "Buyer" at Walmart, the buyer for my three closest Walmarts, in three different states. Curse that glorified "Buyer" who decided that Castrol GTX 10W40 no longer deserves shelf space in their stores. And curse Autozone for selling the same 5 qt. jug for $27.99. I'm going to find some way to educate that glorified "Buyer" that GTX 10W40 is motorcycle oil, and they can't expect to sell as much 10W40 as the other GTX viscosities.

I feel much better now.

Reminder, if it says ENERGY CONSERVING, don't use it in your motorcycle.

Scott

Last edited:
I FOUND A NEW SOURCE!!!!!! Rural King, currently $14.99 for a 5 qt. jug. I expect that to fluctuate from $12.99 to $16.99.
So, curse that glorified "Buyer" at Walmart, the buyer for my three closest Walmarts, in three different states. Curse that glorified "Buyer" who decided that Castrol GTX 10W40 no longer deserves shelf space in their stores. And curse Autozone for selling the same 5 qt. jug for $27.99. I'm going to find some way to educate that glorified "Buyer" that GTX 10W40 is motorcycle oil, and they can't expect to sell as much 10W40 as the other GTX viscosities.
I feel much better now.
Reminder, if it says ENERGY CONSERVING, don't use it in your motorcycle.
Scott

Hi Scott,
as you've found a new source at Rural King perhaps it's best to let Wallymart's sleeping dogs lie?
If you do manage to persuade those participating products of maternal incest that GTX 10W40
is a motorcycle oil they'll re-stock it but only in quart containers and at double the price.

Hi Scott,
as you've found a new source at Rural King perhaps it's best to let Wallymart's sleeping dogs lie?
If you do manage to persuade those participating products of maternal incest that GTX 10W40
is a motorcycle oil they'll re-stock it but only in quart containers and at double the price.

That's exactly what they've already done Fred.

The current "school of retail" teaches that every square inch of shelf space has a dollar value. That's what's wrong with our retail stores, that's why they're dropping like flies. The old school was, "Every sale lost is a sale lost forever". If a shopper has a list of five things to get and the shopper knows that the store doesn't have one of the items on that list, the shopper goes where the items are, lost sale. I was the buyer for a family owned lumber yard. I stocked the plumbing, electrical and hardware/tools. We had everything for the contractors at one stop. Those customers couldn't waste their time going to three or four stores to fill their list. We drove Carter's Lumber Yard chain out of town. That lumberyard has since dropped their hardware and many more items, guess how they're doing now.

Scott

Last edited:
Hey, question here. Yamalube is what I've been using. Castrol GTX before that. Is there an opinion of Yamalube vs Castrol GTX ?

Hey TM, I've always thought that they were the same thing with different labels, but I'm a believer in many conspiracy theories too.

Yamaha doesn't manufacture oil.

Scott

Last edited:
Maybe you guyz north of the Mason-Dixon line could plumb-in some oil pressure gauges, and compare cold start and hot run pressures for these various 10w40 oils...

I've always used 10W40 in my Hondas, I'm shopping for the Hondas. With the XS650, that I'm still working on, I'm thinking about the sticky clutches and the blown sump filters.

Scott

I use the 20W-50 in both my 650's, 10W40 is still listed on the Canadian tire web site in a couple different brands, Castrol included.

Maybe you guyz north of the Mason-Dixon line could plumb-in some oil pressure gauges, and compare cold start and hot run pressures for these various 10w40 oils...
Somebody here did a brief, informal comparison of relative thickness of a couple 20w50 oils when they are hot, which I thought had some good possibilities.

Back