Google sketch-ups on flash drive?

Hey Josh,
I have copied a couple things to flash drives one was a plug in for graphics program it had came with a install wizard wth it though.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I copied this so I don't know if it is all true.
Actually, some software can indeed run from a USB drive (a.k.a. flash drive). And that's mighty handy, as it allows you to carry your favorite programs in your pocket and use them just by plugging the drive into any PC.

But this doesn't work for everything; many programs need to reside on the same physical drive as Windows. Heavy-duty apps like Office and Photoshop, for instance, are inextricably tied to the operating system; you could theoretically install them on your flash drive, but they wouldn't run on any other PC. And you'd run the risk of corrupting both the program and Windows.

That said, there are hundreds of apps that qualify as "portable," meaning they're designed expressly to run from flash drives. That's because they require no installation, no "hooks" into the OS; they're self-contained programs that run regardless of where they're stored.

For example, there are portable versions of OpenOffice, Foxit Reader, Firefox, KeePass Password Safe, and Skype, to name just a few. Head to PortableApps for a full list and download links.

One of my favorite uses for a flash drive is to rid a PC of malware infections. That's possible thanks to various portable security programs (most notably SUPERAntiSpyware).

If you're really ambitious, you can use a flash drive to temporarily boot an entire Linux operating system. (Lincoln Spector explains how in Boot LInux From a Portable USB Drive With Universal USB Installer.) There's even a utility--WinToFlash--that copies Windows installation files to flash drives, which makes for faster, easier, and more portable Windows installations.

So, Patricia, while you can't install every program on your flash drive, you can use your drive to run lots of great programs.

goodgollyjosh have you already been using sketchup?
Can you draw/work with a drawing without a internet connection?

Pending the storage size is large enough?

Hmmm. I worked in IT from 1983 (ish) to post 2000. I was brought up on mainframes and 256K PCs. It still get confused between the sizes of things.

Years ago one of my students (I taught programming) showed me his little MP3 player on which he said he had installed Unix. "Don't be silly... " I thought. "That's a mainframe operating system. This is the size of a box of tic tacs."

But Solaris can be installed in two gigabytes.

Yeah, you'll have loads of room.

I feel old.

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. Yes, I have used the software before but never without an internet connection. I will have to try and see if this makes a difference.

I would be interested in the outcome. I think what you download are initialization files.
And like all things google the actual "working" code is "in the clouds".
Same as everyone else. Office is no longer on your system either. Oh you can view the files but to create new files/ presentations/ powerpoint you need to be online?

DaveO aways back around the time of PDA populaity but before cell phones and nano technology. Some were saying the future was generic work stations and you would carry the programs you needed wanted on a zip drive(remember those?). Of course that died with cell phones that have more processing capabilities than the desktop with Windows 95.

I never worked in IT but I LOVE Kim Kammando. And if the little bride ever tires of me will court Kim.

I've not thought about these things for years so bear with me, but to clarify Weekenrider. There are application programs which exist on the "net" / "in the cloud". Stuff like Google apps. The application is on the net and the data files (word-processing documents, spreadsheets and powerpoints) are there too. The advantage of this is that you can log on from anywhere in the world and using any device with a browser - PC with Windows, Phone or tablet with Android you have your applications and data available. You don't have to carry it with you. It is easier to share too because you can allow access in the same way to anyone, anywhere.

Normally PC Windows programs cannot be installed on a removable device because the installation system and the system which runs it allows the sharing of "libraries" (commonly shared code) between programs. This means that programme Z uses a set of routines in graphics library A or maths library B. Another program X which is installed also uses library A and library B. But instead of installing the bulky libraries again it shares them with program Z. Information about this share is kept in the "registry". This whole system requires that the operating system, application programs, shared libraries and data about how everything fits together be permanently linked.

Portable Apps gets around this by providing application programs which CAN be installed onto a memory stick. You can therefore carry your apps and your data wherever you go on the memory stick. AFAIK the system is OS dependant so YES - you can carry it around GoodGollyGosh but NO - not ANY system, only Windows. Its bloody clever though, and I've found it very useful in the past as there are lots of apps.

Downside is your phone will not have a USB data port, nor will your tablet and even if they did they are both probably running Android OS.

Hope this helps

Dave

Oh, and by the way Portable Apps can be used offline as it is self contained. It uses the PC processor to run the programs contained on the memory stick but does not need access to any of the PC files nor the internet.

This is all very helpful. I am only slightly computer literate. The reasoning behind my initial question is that I had the software on my work computer and my employer got audited and I was forced to remove it because while it may be free it apparently is not free for business use...at least not at my job. I had put in a request for Google Sketch-Ups Pro for $590 but never heard back. Being just a blue collar worker I think they were hesitant to buy it for me. Luckily, after a meeting where I was able to show the drawings/blueprints that I have made for various lab tools they agreed to finally get the software for me. All of the engineers of course have a nice Autodesk CAD software...$$$. So, being at the bottom of the ladder I thought maybe I could sneak in the software on my flash drive. At least it looks like I will not have to go this route afterall. :thumbsup: Thanks for the help though, I learned something!

Back