got a free drill press...

deadchef

xsbobblehead
Reaction score
so i got this free drill press. it works but you have to spin it to get it started. otherwise it just hums when you turn it on. it looks like the starting capacitor has been changed before. i think it needs a new one. any expertise on what i should do next? pictured below is the label on the motor and on the capacitor.

If you can spin it and it will run it is definitely the start cap. You should be able to get a replacement from somewhere like grainger for about $10.

Everything I have found says that for a 1hp 1800 RPM motor you need 300uf so I would try and find the same one or a comparable one.

I had to replace a motor bearing on my 25 year old central bandsaw. Suspect similar motor design. On mine, found centrifugal start switch, under endplate cap. Simple mechanism. Here's a pic of mine:

Attachments

• CentrifugalSwitch.jpg
    CentrifugalSwitch.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
well i swapped out the starting capacitor and that didn't change anything. i opened the bottom and removed the centrifugal switch. i noticed the contacts were a little charred so i cleaned them up and reassembled. still not working. just sits there and hums until i spin it with my hand to get it moving. no burnt smell or anything.

the po had it wired funny. i noticed that two of the 4 poles on the motor are wired together and the other two have power from the switch. unfortunately i don't have the experience to sort it out. i think i might just have to take it in to get repaired unless someone else has an idea.

Hey deadchef
I have the same drill press, just 10 years newer.

full

Here's the wiring diagram from mine. You should have six wires, in two bundles, like this...
full

So what the above pic is telling us is that one of wires coming from the switch is joined with the black and red wires, poles 1 & 3. The other wire coming from the switch is joined with the gray and yellow wires, poles 2 & 4.

It looks like this...
full

Here's a shot of the OEM capacitor that's in mine. It's 200 microfarad (MFD)...
full

I found a replacement capacitor at mcmaster-carr for $3.94 You can see it by clicking Here or Here
The part # is 7245k16

Hope that helps
Bryan

dude!! hell yeah man!! i owe you a fuckin beer! thank you so much, that is exactly what i needed! saved me a costly trip to the repair shop, works great now!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Back