1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Governor springs , changes over the years?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XS650D, Aug 13, 2019.

1. XS650D

XS650D XS650 Junkie

Ordering new Advance springs (NOS new old stock) looks like there was a change
    between 75/76 years based on part info looking at. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed
    correct.Not sure what the diff would be. I think I saw that certain years had a different rpm
    range ,maybe 3000 vs 3200 rpms max advance .Thx

2. XS650D

XS650D XS650 Junkie

OK Perfect,Thx Gary, got a set on order, will be interesting to see what a properly tensioned stock advance spring set
    works like compared to my bastardized Mikes xs units. Really wanted an electronic advance but no go here in Canada
    purchasing separate . Actually I think Mikes in US is same now. Well I think the original advance will be great with new springs
    and no drag from points with the Electronic ignition I have installed.

gggGary likes this.
  3. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict

I suppose when all said and done the changing of ARU springs would be an attempt to alter and refine the advance curve, making the engine sweeter in different areas.
    Those of us that remember manual AD/RET will know how crude it was. Velocette for instance, start half retarded then onto fully advance for riding, if it struggles going up hill retard it a tad.

4. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I've never bought mike's springs but I've shortened the stockers a time or three. I try just one spring first, check action with a light, do the other if it needs it.