GPS on a Motorcycle

COOL - you learn something every day! Thanks QL - that is a very handy tip.

P

True enough Fred - a lot of people are going that way without a landline. The only wrinkle about using the phone as a GPS is that it uses data while you're doing that and so it can get expensive if you are far away from home or have a plan which does not include a lot of data. Also, the cell network requires mains power - so it normally wont work in a power outage.
Pete

Hi Pete,
you saying that the cell network don't have backup power?
If I were out riding when a power outage happened I'd be more worried that the traffic lights were out of service.
Even though everyone should know that a dead traffic light defaults to a 4-way stop sign you'd swear it was a State Secret.

Totally agree with the sentiment of just riding with the sound of the wind. But when I make the run on backroads, long distance camping with a specific meetup or rides from Toronto to Moncton cellphone + cradle on bars + SENA in the helmet. Pic below with cell in a water tight case, USB charger & cradle on the FZ09. Like QL stated, google map downloads are fantastic.

I get why folks want a Garmin for convenience but to me the cell phone just makes a better fit for the job.

IMG_4567.PNG

Heh as mentioned Skull, SENA in the helmet. It's delivers audio directions via Bluetooth the whole time. Map is there for visual reference. The cager issue is in the handheld user input and attention devoted to navigating whatever they are doing. Not happening on a bike. Lord help me if I'm texting and riding

I'm just trying to provide an alternate to even the GPS. Your cellphone is typically pretty up to date and maps can be downloaded. Google (when approaching heavy congestion) can and will reroute on your phone to avoid whereas most GPS units don't have traffic/congestion input. A water resistant case can be had for $24 CAD outta China, that's like $5 US (joking). After that any standard intercom with Bluetooth will do. Revzilla has some ranging from $100-130 that'll do the trick. IMO it's a most cost effective route ovall to a GPS unit.

HOLY COW guys - FWIW - I do have a waterproof ZUMO GPS and a helmet with bluetooth sound in it and sometimes I use it, and other times I don't, at my option.

However, I also realise that not everyone can afford these amenities and yet they might like them / need them for some reason...or just want to try them out because they're interested in new technologies. I was just trying to offer a suggestion to someone who wondered about putting a GPS on a bike at manageable cost on another forum and I ran across what I felt might be useful information so I stuck it in a thread here. I never intended to touch off such a debate.

I understand that some people don't like these technologies / don't want these technologies / have the luxury of free time such that they don't need them. No problemo - just move along and leave it to the folks who are not in that enviable position. As for distraction, I suspect that distracted riding is a tiny fraction as prevalent as distracted driving and so a rider having a GPS is not necessarily going to increase the danger on the road beyond what it already is by any measurable amount. The real danger from motorcycles is in the form the twits who do wheelies in traffic, go 90 km/hr in 40 zones and race each other on city streets.

...anyhow, as they say in the nuclear industry....event ended.

Lol, Rereading your posts Pete, it does come across more as your situation and looking for solutions even if you didn't mean it like that. I was just pointing out the connection between Cell phone/GPS use and the consequences of that use v's safety between Cars v's Bikes. Wasn't trying for controversy........I'll go away.........

Its OK Skull - I think its too bad when such a great group of people start wrangling and trying to one-up each other and I sure don't like being the cause of it - particularly when I was just trying to contribute some potentially useful information to someone who had a problem to solve.

Its OK Skull - I think its too bad when such a great group of people start wrangling and trying to one-up each other and I sure don't like being the cause of it - particularly when I was just trying to contribute some potentially useful information to someone who had a problem to solve.

No intention to cause any hassles or wrangling..............Removed posts.

Hi Mick!
That really is a very slick little setup. could you please tell me which Garmin model that is? Also, does it have a map display?

BTW - how goes the recovery from the big typhoon you folks just had go through?

Pete

The Garmin Edge 520, is off my mountain bike, expensive little sucker too, I've not set the elevation as yet....
Cyclone, I'll post up some pictures on the cyclone Debbie thread for you to see, that way I won't hijack this thread:hijack:, have a bad habit of getting shit wrong :laughing:

I ordered an "el cheapo" digital speedo/tach with turn signal lights, yadda yadda yadda. On the dash I'm going to make for it will be a space to mount a voltmeter and USB outlet. Maybe a dual outlet. Cheap enough on ebay. Keep the phone charged for GPS and maybe MP3 player.

I ordered an "el cheapo" digital speedo/tach with turn signal lights, yadda yadda yadda. On the dash I'm going to make for it will be a space to mount a voltmeter and USB outlet. Maybe a dual outlet. Cheap enough on ebay. Keep the phone charged for GPS and maybe MP3 player.

That sounds cool Rudy - please post some photos when you get it worked out.

Pete

I've never traveled on a motorcycle with a GPS, but there sure have been times I WISHED I had one. There are some pretty lonely desolate roads in Arizona and I have been , just flat lost before. There sure have been times when I was low on gas and really wasn't sure where I was. A GPS could make all the difference.

Back