Green Grandad resurrection

Ok...only a five-month hiatus. The motor is dropped (shopped got tidied up in the process. Pics to follow). Curious if anyone knows the thickness of the frame steel. Would like to do this properly and not make it worse...

Views of the crack from the inside and outside as best I can. Pretty sure this frame has been held together with literal pig shite from sitting in a field for the last 20 years.
The bottom picture shows it cleaned up...plan is to have a buddy do the repair next weekend. He looked at it and said "no problem"...here's hoping.
Any pro tips before the day arrives please throw them in the thread.
Dropped the motor today with the lay-down method. Very easy and I highly recommend it. Easier to execute when your bike is crusty I imagine, as there is less stress.
71693664988__5CEDF2B9-1361-405C-A1D8-24E924437BE4.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG
71693880003__228C1ADE-4FFB-47D6-92E5-906595C829C5.JPG

I'm not a pro but when I welded mine I had the swingarm installed. I didn't remove it until all the welds had cooled down.
For the crack on top I ground frame smooth and welded a piece of flat steel over the crack, the other cracks I just put a V in them and welded them up.
10+thousand smiles later it's still good.
1695327044789.png

I'm not a pro but when I welded mine I had the swingarm installed. I didn't remove it until all the welds had cooled down.
For the crack on top I ground frame smooth and welded a piece of flat steel over the crack, the other cracks I just put a V in them and welded them up.
10+thousand smiles later it's still good.
View attachment 251784
Sweet! That's what I want to hear. The plan is to channel the crack and weld it with the swingarm acting as a jig. Good info on the plate, I think that's smart. Any specific thickness you used for the plate?

Sweet! That's what I want to hear. The plan is to channel the crack and weld it with the swingarm acting as a jig. Good info on the plate, I think that's smart. Any specific thickness you used for the plate?
1/8 or 3/16 just what ever I had laying around.

Back