Handlebar Clamp bolt size?

On my 72 650 I'm having a top triple tree custom made but I need to know what size my riser bolt holes are and what the thread is. Anyone know where on this site I can find that information? I can go take all that stuff apart but I'd rather not currently still working on the back fender I'm building.
thanks
Jack

Jack, if you have any of the parts manuals, you can decode most bolt/nut sizes from the part number.
Lookup the riser's nuts. If the number has something like 010xx, it's a 10mm, 008xx would be 8mm.
Forum search 'decoding part numbers' should have more info.

Edit: Waitaminit, the riser posts are shouldered. Failing memory sez 10mm posts with 8mm threads.
Best wait for confirmation on this...

Ok I'm confused just looking at Yamaha Parts Househttp://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500416e6f8700209bc784984/steering and according to the picture Part 18 and 19 are not available and I also searched Mikes XS and couldn't find this part. So I know the bolt is 10 mm But I haven't taken it apart yet and I need to know the size of the shouldered area. LOL Boy I hope someone can understand what I'm asking here.

I would appreciate any help on this.
Jack

Last edited:
Yep, you're right, 10mm threaded area, 10mm nuts/washers. Then, the post may be 12 or 13mm.
Mine are all bolted in place, can't measure.
That #18 & #19 can be found on eBay.
The size of the special washer is shown as 10.5mm in this excerpt.

Attachments

• 70-72-Steering1.jpg
    70-72-Steering1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 70-72-Steering2.jpg
    70-72-Steering2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 70-72-Steering3.jpg
    70-72-Steering3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 295
Yes I just bought a set on Ebay of the bottoms no tops they were cheap. I may have them chromed. But I'd prefer to get a set made to match my tree from billet aluminum. Then they wouldn't have to be shouldered right. they could be straight 10 or 12 mm all the way since I'm doing away with the old tree, and risers. I'd also like to get rid of the big black adjustment knob has anyone done that project successfully?
Thanks
Jack

2M,
You are too cool. I had only read one of those threads and thought I had read every thread on here about this topic. The replacement top from Mikes may end up as what I'll do but I'd prefer billet aluminum as I said. I sent an email to the guy I'm dealing with on the triple tree to see if he would make me a set to match. I hope he will and at a decent price although I'm less concerned about the money than I am about getting it done so it looks right. Thank you again I appreciate your help. Do you need anything for your bike? Before long I will be gathering a bunch of parts together that I'll never need from my 72 and listing them. Let me know what you need and I'll do my best to really take care of you.
Jack
http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-handlebar-top-clamp-chrome

Parts from a '72? Many of those would work on the earlier 70-71. But, thanx anyway, I think I'm good.

What I could really use is a 60lb weight loss.

My love of BBQ prevents that.

Your knowledge of BBQ probably acknowledges that...

After re-reading this thread,now I'M confused.
So, pulled one riser clamp and took some measurements.

XS1B-Riser.jpg

The top clamp bolts are M8 x 30mm, as reported in post #2.

Will def get in on that BBQ sauce...

Back