Haynes Manual xs650

popes11

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have what I believe to be the motorcycle that was used in the Haynes Manual, strip down and re-build.
I checked the engine and frame numbers, and they match what is in the manual.
Now, this was a barn find, I don't have any documents for the bike, there is very little left of it anyway. What I want to know, is it worth anything? I wouldn't want to go chopping the frame up if it is worth somethin!

The motorcycle is Yamaha XS650 (653cc), believed to be a 1E1 europe model 1976,
Engine No: *447-300549*
Frame No: *447-300549*

Help,

popes11

From the charts in the TECH section it is an 76 XS650C model. The 1E1 indicates it was a European model.
With it not being complete and in great shape it is a good bike to cut up. I might see how hard it will be to get good papers on it before I got to far.
Even without paper it is good for parts.
Leo

wow. You actually have the red bike on the cover of the haynes many? thats cool.

Do you have the right airbox cover? I ask becase that cover on the bike looks like it was slathered in bondo. right were the airbox clamps on.
and whats up with the tread on that front tire? about 2 o'closck, the tread looks wierd.

Hi Paulrxs650,

I was planning on putting a ZXR front end on, also a Honda 400 single sided swing arm on it. Prob take quite a while, but will make a good project. Wick is fine, how long is it since you were in Mackays Hotel? Are you an ex Wicker?

wow. You actually have the red bike on the cover of the haynes many? thats cool.

Do you have the right airbox cover? I ask becase that cover on the bike looks like it was slathered in bondo. right were the airbox clamps on.
and whats up with the tread on that front tire? about 2 o'closck, the tread looks wierd.
It's not the xs on the cover, but the bike inside, it's black in colour.

From the charts in the TECH section it is an 76 XS650C model. The 1E1 indicates it was a European model.
With it not being complete and in great shape it is a good bike to cut up. I might see how hard it will be to get good papers on it before I got to far.
Even without paper it is good for parts.
Leo
Hi Leo,
I was planning on putting a ZXR front end on, also a Honda 400 single sided swing arm on it. Prob take quite a while, but will make a good project.
Cheers.

If you post a few pictures of what you have of the bike, and a few words on its history, like mileage, like has the engine been assembled correctly and tested and the mileage since reassembly etc. I think I could give you a good estimate of its worth in sterling.

Last edited:
Hi ramrod,
It wouldn't be worth posting photos as the frame is bare and the engine is apart. Like I said earlier in my posts, it was a barn find, so there are no clocks to tell what mileage there is. I'm not sure if it's worth that much the way it is, and it would take too much to put it back the way it was originally. Cafe racer is in my head, and that's the way I think I will go.
Cheers.

It's a while since I was up there, I did some work between Wick and Thurso on IP data traffic networks and it suited me down to the ground - very much like home - I'm a country boy!
Sounds like a great idea you have! I'd pursue that,I'll be interested in seeing how that turns out

It's a while since I was up there, I did some work between Wick and Thurso on IP data traffic networks and it suited me down to the ground - very much like home - I'm a country boy!
Sounds like a great idea you have! I'd pursue that,I'll be interested in seeing how that turns out
Will keep you informed on the progress.
Cheers.

Back