Head and cylinder gaskets appear to be weeping oil

Man I just changed my oil out. I have a good steady leak under my bike. Its not coming from the sump cover area. I just changed that out and added a new gasket. Its coming from behind that somewhere. Anyone know where else the bottom end is prone to leak? My bike is dropped and I cant get a good look under there to assess. I need a mirror on a stick lol.

The large seal that the starter motor fits into can leak pretty good.

Man I just changed my oil out. I have a good steady leak under my bike. Its not coming from the sump cover area. I just changed that out and added a new gasket. Its coming from behind that somewhere. Anyone know where else the bottom end is prone to leak? My bike is dropped and I cant get a good look under there to assess. I need a mirror on a stick lol.

Starter and or clutch rod seal are common.

Yeah, nearly impossible to roll a bobber up a ramp up to a concrete block so you can look....
There are two drain plugs they should have new crush gaskets.
The clutch pushrod seal is prone to leaking. cheap and not too hard to replace, buy two you will fuggle the first one you try to put in.
If the front sprocket nut is loose the counter shaft will leak a lot of oil, tightening the nut usually stops the leak. The nut gets loose a lot.

Since this thread was initially my fault I suppose I ought to tell about the outcome of the original question. A careful retorque of the head to maximum recommended values and a change to Valvoline 20-50w motorcycle specific oil has cleared up any sign of weeping at the head and cylinder base mating surfaces. Thanks to all who provided wisdom.:thumbsup:

roy

Last edited:
I just bought two new crush copper gaskets from Mike xs that are supposed to be for each drain plug but they don't look like they would fit to well. Comparing them to the thin copper gaskets that fit perfectly around the drain plugs these appear to be wider and the rings themselves are round and pretty thick.

I have been using copper crush exhaust washers from an aircraft vender and I agree, I had a set of the mikes washers, tried em on the plug and said no way much too big.

Excess crankcase pressure can cause or increase oil leaks as well. If you're running pods, install the power brake check valves on your breather hoses instead of just little filters.

Hey 5Twins, can you tell me a little more about these power brake check valves? And how would I ask for them? No particular make/model? My PO talked me into enlarging the air breather port (drilled it out some) shortly after I bought the bike. Now I'm getting a lot of oily shit blowing out of it and have since read that enlarging it will cause that.
Did you get my PM saying that after I set my valve lash to the correct #'s (I was WAY off!), it quieted right down and all is good.
My "new" carb holders cracked in 2-3 months. I did a patch/repair that worked, no leakage until a week ago. Had a back fire that clearly sounded like a gun shot in that relief was evident. It died, started but ran bad. Looked down and the patched holder blew in half! Was hard to see that due to the patch and I loosened both up and re-stabbed them. Got me home.
My new set from JBM arrived yesterday, finished another carb cleaning and mounting today. Will sync and dial in tomorrow.

Back