head bolt retorque.

Already did Applied force times distance equals resultant force.... AF X D = RF
10lbs applied force at one foot equals 10 ft. lbs... 10lbs applied at 4 ft. equals 40 ft. lbs. The longer the extension ( even at 90deg.) the greater the distance becomes... there's a greater resultant force or.... more ft lbs. If you don't want to change the distance, the adapter must be moved in 'till the distance is the same as it is without the extension.

That is the simple version. We would need to know how to calculate it at any angle, for a proof.

This implies the practical thing that matters is 90, no arc involved, adapter length not relevant. This is what I've always heard before.
fig_10c.jpg

Define "broken." Bolt threads stripped? Hole threads stripped? Or bolt literally broke in two?

It’s broken near the end of the threads on the bolt. Those threads are just stuck in the casing. But there’s enough thread in the bolt itself that it catches and tightens a bit probably not 7 foot pounds though. This isn’t the bolt but if it was this is about where the thread broke off

Attachments

• 712A82B4-6399-4E0F-8B4D-7FD604BD0AA2.jpeg
    712A82B4-6399-4E0F-8B4D-7FD604BD0AA2.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 243
The red line is longer than the green. That greater distance means a higher resultant force.
fig_10c.jpg

We would need to know how to calculate it at any angle, for a proof.
And that's why we have the aforementioned formula. We don't care about the angle... it's irrelevant to the calculation. What's important is the distance.

It’s broken near the end of the threads on the bolt.
Get a new bolt. Your local hardware store should have grade 8.8. While you're there, buy a tap to chase the threads out on the cylinder.

Then you're saying any crowsfoot is off at 90, because the red line is longer. Would you suggest a correction factor of R/G ?

It’s broken near the end of the threads on the bolt. Those threads are just stuck in the casing. But there’s enough thread in the bolt itself that it catches and tightens a bit probably not 7 foot pounds though. This isn’t the bolt but if it was this is about where the thread broke off
How many threads do you think are catching?

Then you're saying any crowsfoot is off at 90, because the red line is longer. Would you suggest a correction factor of R/G ?
The change in distance a crows foot makes is so insignificant that it would be hard to even measure it.

How many threads do you think are catching?
Not sure I’m gonna just assume 1-3 it’s been about 2 weeks since I seen it last. The retorque definantly helped but I still have some leakage and I think some of it has to do with that bolt unfortunantly. When next season rolls around maybe I’ll take it out change gaskets and remove that stuck bolt get a new one. Here a pic of the leak I have left if it helps. Thanks dudes!

Attachments

• 72922BC6-791F-4F7C-A1F8-95C01AB4ACFD.jpeg
    72922BC6-791F-4F7C-A1F8-95C01AB4ACFD.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 261
I was hoping just the tip was broken off or something, so you could grind some of the end off of the bolt that's left to make it clear and use it.
I guess I would leave it alone until I couldn;t stand the leak anymore, or until something else came along to make me take the engine out.

With a bolt that's broken off, you can be sure it's in there really good, and personally I would leave it to a machine shop. If a bolt breaks when you tried to remove it, you know an easyout, that can only apply a lot less force than turning it by the bolt head that broke off, isn't going to do the job. So I'd let a machine shop do it. This stuff seems easy to them... And they hate you to bring them something with an easyout broken off in it. I've had good luck once or twice but failed enough to learn not to try it.

Last edited:
...This is the kind of thing 2M likes to work on...

Ruh-roh.

...E becomes 0 the minute it goes on at 90 degrees...
...Applied force times distance equals resultant force...

Both correct, but missing an important force vector.

...This is what I've always heard before...View attachment 120799

The red line is longer than the green. That greater distance means a higher resultant force.
View attachment 120801

What's unclear is the mechanic's input force vector. Apply the rule that ALL force applied to the torque wrench be normal (at 90°) to the wrench arm (handle). Then the torque wrench readings make sense. Forces applied at an angle to the handle (like 90° to the longer red line) have to be converted (trig stuff) to be meaningful to the torque wrench readings.

Extreme example:

Have a 1ft torque wrench, and a 10ft extension fitted at 90° to the wrench.

Apply 10lbs to the wrench, normal (90°) to the handle, gets 10 ft-lbs torque to the bolt.

Pull on the wrench handle, parallel with the wrench, at 10lbs, gets 100 ft-lbs to the bolt, and the torque wrench reads 0...

Until I see a bunch of sin and cos splattered around I'm not going to believe any arc is involved. Interesting thing is I did the thought experiment too, with a mile long but ideally rigid extension. At some point it quits working, maybe the input vector has to be impossibly precisely 90 degrees.

There is a mountain between Germany and Austria called Mount Wank. In France there a town called Wancourt - they do not pronounce the "t" and I would laugh each time I drove past when I was working out there. In French the word for a Seal does not sound good in English. Just thought I would share...

Hi everyone. Hope you are all having a great 4th of July.

I just finished torquing all the head bolts BUT I found out that I am missing the little 6mm bolt that is in position #11 on 5 Twins diagram.

Is this something I can get at Hardware store? It’s 6mm tread x 1 inch long I think. Thanks!

Last edited:
or 1 3/8" in Merican length. I think a little long will be ok there. say; if they had a 40mm but not a 35, don't go short and be SUPER careful, hand snug only. probably an excellent spot for a hex (allen) head if you have ball end allen wrenches.

Back