head steady yes or no?

coxy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi ,I have engine in a hard tail bobber frame,question is do I need to fit the head steady or can I leave it off as it would look cleaner in my opinion?

I leave mine off when I need to retorque the head a couple of timese after assembly........I definately notice the bike is """less"""" steady and roadworthy without the top motor mount......for sure....

xsjohn

Thanks for the replies,really confirmed what I suspected,the chap that made the frame says it don't matter but I will go with a head steady I think just a nicer less heacvy weight thing,will give it a ponder

I really *would* leave it in. It steadies the entire jugs/head/valve cover section of the motor. Without it, you have around 40lbs of resonate weight up there, and it controls that, along with the front to back forces of the con rods.

While this is my first bike/build. . . . I don't think Yamaha designed the engine mount as an accessory. Just get them chromed or paint them the color of your frame.

I really *would* leave it in. It steadies the entire jugs/head/valve cover section of the motor. Without it, you have around 40lbs of resonate weight up there, and it controls that, along with the front to back forces of the con rods.

I agree, had a sr500 chop once with no head steady, it used to vibrate like hell, and a Triumph I had didn't have a very good one and blew the barrels off the crankcases on one journey.

As they said at IBM back in the day "If you can't fix it, feature it".

In other words chrome plate the top mount.

You could fabricate a top mount that is functional and looks good. The stock one is bulky and ugly but usually mostly hidden.

Posted via Mobile

Again thanks for input guys,its a custom frame so will have to make mounts for it and will make something less ugly while am at it,was really wondering if any one runs an xs engine in a custom frame and had tried it without the head steady!

alot of the chopper/bobber guys run without it,they"ll tell you its fine but it's not

Back