Head Stuck to Jugs

Wonder if a PM..... pervious moron.. went gonzo with sealant... god forbit the old school Bardall stuff... (did I spel bardal wright?) …. as posted before.. I'd get some chem's and let it work it's magic overnight....

Last edited:
Peanut, do you know the difference between tapping lightly to apply even, sustained pressure and "banging" on something to break it loose? You have a higher opinion of engineers (vs. mechanics) than I do. I have one in the family--long on theory, short on common sense. But over here an engineer is a guy with a master's degree. We have "machine shops," and I'd expect the guys there to do anything that works.

XSWestgate, in separating the XS650 head, there are usually two sources of resistance. One of course is the gasket itself, which can adhere pretty tightly even without sealants. The other source of resistance is the alignment dowels on the four outside 10 mm. studs. Patience is your friend.

I'm not a fan of assumptions and I get that sometimes it's all we have to formulate a response on.. As an engineer, I can confirm you're giving engineers too much credit and a bike shop would be my choice if I didn't have over a decade of wrenching experience. I've tried everything you've mentioned without luck which is why I came to the forum and I appreciate everyone's input. It's a toss up between the "TwoMany Jugs Method?" and the wedges. I'll post the jugs post-op.

I wasn't having a pop at you fella I was trying to be helpful.
At the end of the day you will take what advice you believe is relevant and go with it and i wish you luck.

The important life lesson here is , it doesn't matter if you have 1x year or 50 years.experience ..
its what you learn that matters ...........not how much time spent doing it.;)

Last edited:
If I may....I suspect that our friend from the foothills of the Rockies has got enough advice (and jack-@ss humour....;)) and so I'd like to gently suggest that our best course of action is to now wait and see what he reports.

giphy.gif

Peanut, do you know the difference between tapping lightly to apply even, sustained pressure and "banging" on something to break it loose? You have a higher opinion of engineers (vs. mechanics) than I do. I have one in the family--long on theory, short on common sense. But over here an engineer is a guy with a master's degree. We have "machine shops," and I'd expect the guys there to do anything that works.

sarcasm doesn't achieve anything constructive does it !.....

If you don't treat others with respect then you can't very well expect others to respect you can you

The reason I suggested a Engineering workshop is that they would have considerably more equipment than a shade tree mechanic such as pullers , presses and oxy acetylene for applying heat

You implied that I was recommending an aggressive procedure, and that was not the case. Give respect, get respect. Give confrontation and contradiction and you get what you get.

I've gotta say that the "TwoMany Jugs Method" is golden and should be cast in stone as the way to get it done. after lots of beating at it with a softwood/hammer combo, applying heat, and coaxing with a dead blow hammer, in the end using a bolt from the cover as leverage with a peice of bar stock took no effort at all. It was nice and gentle on the jugs:wink2:. After looking at the gasket, it doesn't look like anything was excessively applied, it could have been that this bike has been sitting for at least ten years :shrug:. Here's the pics, this is my first dig into the engine. it looks like PO sanded or wire brushed one piston, eh? compression was good on this one, just tearing it apart because of leaking/burning oil. And yes, I see the cam chain down there.. that's what happens when you don't keep the engine and your two year old son in separate spaces.
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG

Good for you XSWestgate!

Well, its not difficult to tell which cylinder was burning oil...

I know that it isn't the central issue you were concerned about but I spent a moment staring at the top photo and it appears to me that the plastic track is coming off your front timing chain guide or at least part of it is. That is a fairly common issue with XS650s and so you might want to pull the guide out (just two small bolts on the front side of the cylinder barrel) and have a good look at it.

These guides can be a little bit difficult to come by NOS but the aftermarket ones are available at fairly reasonable cost. Anyhow, the guide on my 1976 XS650C failed last summer and I did quite on study of them in this thread:

I determined that while there are some aspects of the aftermarket guides that are not quite correct (alignment of the mounting holes is a bit off in some of them), they actually do fit OK and will work just fine.

Pete

Last edited:
But over here an engineer is a guy with a master's degree.
The vast majority just have a bachelor's (BSEE or BSME, etc.) which just readies you for rigorous OTJT really. It's an interesting field in that a master's doesn't seem to give you a whole lot of career advantage. If they get a master's, it's often as not an MBA.

Right you are, xjwmx, my old brain slipped a cog. Things may have changed, but in my day at the University of Illinois a BS in Engineering was a five year degree, pretty much the equivalent of a master's in any other field.

In my day, U.K. was legally bound to accept any state resident. And in-state tuition was almost nothing. That meant no matter how stupid or poor you were, you had a chance at a degree. If you could just manage to not get kicked out, as a whole lot of people were.

Re. almost free in-state education, I remember writing my first check for a semester's full-time tuition and fees at U of I in September 1965: $85, and that was full pay, no scholarship support. A highly educated populace was considered a national security need back then, and public colleges and universities got a lot of money from the feds and more from the states. Then came Reagan and David Stockman, his economics minion, with a head full of Milton Friedman's neofascist theory. Federal aid to higher ed. was cut, starting a trend that's continued for decades. Reduction of federal income tax revenue meant less revenue sharing to the states, many legislatures, like that of the State of Ill, were full of cowards who were afraid to increase state taxes to compensate for the loss, so state college funding diminished along with other services. To those who believe others should pick themselves up by their own bootstraps: OK, but dammit, quit cutting the straps!

Right you are, xjwmx, my old brain slipped a cog. Things may have changed, but in my day at the University of Illinois a BS in Engineering was a five year degree, pretty much the equivalent of a master's in any other field.
I got my degree from there too!!! Back in 1981. Was BS in Ag Mechanics with business.

Last edited:
Back