Headlight and Tail Light issues

kayakcullen

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there I was wandering if someone could help me with a wiring issue. I have an 82 xs650. I have it running now on a pamco ignition, PMA, and a capacitor. What I am having problems with is the head light and tail light. I should also mention that this is the first time I have ever rewired anything. I am trying to rewire the headlight using the original high/low beam switch but can't figure out if I am missing something and what wire to even cut into. Every now and then when it comes to this stuff my brain goes dumb dumb:banghead:, and I am not sure what to do even though it is probably pretty simple. Right now I have it to where the headlight works, I just can't change it. On the simplified wiring diagram, I have the key in place of the kill switch and that's all I have as far as a shut off. The other diagram is from an 81. I wasn't sure if it's the same or not but it did look similar as far as the left handlebar switch goes. Any help would be great:bike:

Attachments

• simplifiedWiring_fuseblock.jpg
    simplifiedWiring_fuseblock.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 132
You need both an on/off switch like on the older bikes, your 82 doesn't have one. With the PMA and cap an on/off switch makes starting easier.
Power from the PMA to the on/off switch, from the on/off switch to the headlight dimmer switch, Your dimmer switch has A few more wires than you need, It has the green/blue and yellow/blue that went to the reserve lighting unit, you won't use them.
Use the blue/yellow, that's power in, the yellow to high beam the dark green to low beam.
To power the taillight run a wire from the headlight on/off switch to the tailight.
To get the brake light to light run a wire from the main switch to each brake light switch then from the switchs to the brake light.
Leo

Thanks for the help, everything is working now. Haven't put in the on/off switch for the lights yet but will sometime. It starts with three kicks anyway, so that aint bad. Just found out I have to have turn signals since they were on the bike originally. Ill be doing that and the switch at the same time.

Back