Headlight brackets early XS on 1980 447

Hudriwudri

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello to you all,

Maybe some of you guys could give me some advice.
Do the early headlight brackets fit on a later 447?
I'm planning during the restoration of my Xs650 to have the early colour scheme applied and thus would like to change the current (Tomaselli) headlight brackets to the early painted ones and also find myself a painted headlight bucket/she'll.

Thanks for your kind support

Christian

cat.jpg

Yes, it can be done. This is a 1973 headlight and brackets (intended for 34mm forks) mounted on a set of 1977 and later triple tress and forks (35mm).

DSC04978.JPG

The headlight brackets will slide over the 35mm forks with no problems. The upper and lower guides and gaskets (directly above and below the brackets) are a mash-up of early and late parts. I don't remember exactly what I did here. Just played around with parts until it worked.

I have also done this with '73 ears on my '77. I cobbled together a setup out of old fork tube seals and old leftover headlight ear shims from a '78 special. If I recall correctly, the earlier ears are roughly 1/2 shorter than the later ones. Nevermind the 75 tank, this is a 77.
73DE4486-4492-4834-9D9E-A3CD70AC5E90.jpeg

Here's a side by side of the '80 and the early ear. The early ear is about 5/8" or 17mm shorter. The diameters are the same. As has been said above, you just need to come up with the right combination of spacers.

1646769743209.png

Now that you both mention it, I think the bottom 35mm 77 and later triple I'm using has the stem removed, and a 70-73 stem welded in. I'd forgotten about that. Bought it fabbed up from a Forum member a long time ago when I bough a bunch of other parts from him.

Thanks a whole lot to you guys!
You guys are just awesome.
I'm also happy to see that I'm not the only one that does or did a franken-XS.
I just think the early paint schemes are absolutely pretty.
So did I understand correctly that the earlier two piston (Tz style) fork is only 34mm's.
That would be a pity as i have two complete forklegs stashed away in my other garage and planned to use them.

Thanks a lot again

Christian

Yes, early style 34mm forks used dual piston caliper. The 35mm switched over to the single piston caliper which most say is inferior to the earlier style.

Thnx for the info.
This weekens i have to measure the fork i have as i was under the impression it was 35mm.
Darn now i perhaps need to buy also some triple clamps.
Oh well

Thnx and good evening

Christian

Back