Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

I’m always amazed at how well chrome exhausts can clean up. 🙂
The factory chrome was pretty good. My aftermarket pipes and mufflers seem a little less durable. My shoe has put scratches at the side and centerstand locations. I am not complaining here, the pieces were not expensive.

Aa bit dusty and grimy, but I do prefer the look of the factory pipes.

1714609920912.png

Those dilled mufflers will probably affect the carbs and jetting. I know they did on my '83. I thought it was all stock but upon closer inspection, I discovered the P.O. had drilled extra holes in the muffler end caps .....

ModdedMuffler.jpg

This made the already factory lean BS34s even leaner, so I upped the mains one size (which I would have done anyway) and reduced the air jets 2 sizes. That made things all good again, lol.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm already up one on the mains and pilots iirc, so I'll wait until I make new end caps and put some miles on her, then see where I'm at.
Think I'm gonna drill about 3-4 holes in the new caps and weld nuts on the inside. That way I can '' tune'' the sound. Once that's done I'll revisit the mixtures.

Well, if you're already up on the jets, you should be good. I thought you might still have the stock jetting. I didn't find the need for a larger pilot, just reducing the air jets was enough. The air jets are a cool fine tuning aid on the BS34s that many aren't aware of.

Yes, the added holes in my baffle plates made it louder, but also very raspy. I didn't like it. I'd look into some real Commandos from YamahaXS650.com, they're the best. Get the 1.5" inlet ones so you don't need adapters.

Yeah... she's filthy. Sue me.

New exhaust seals finally arrived (don't ask...) and I stuck the Special exhaust on there. Maybe just a tad loud for my liking, but damn it sounds sweet with that friggin rattle gone. :cheers:

Sounds great Jim, good result I'd say!

Those dilled mufflers will probably affect the carbs and jetting. I know they did on my '83. I thought it was all stock but upon closer inspection, I discovered the P.O. had drilled extra holes in the muffler end caps .....

View attachment 324757

This made the already factory lean BS34s even leaner, so I upped the mains one size (which I would have done anyway) and reduced the air jets 2 sizes. That made things all good again, lol.
My ‘81 looks like that. Fewer holes, but that’s it. I’m not going to fix it. My next door neighbor has a giant Peterbilt tow truck. He’ll always take any attention off of me.

Guess I should be flogged.... poor ol' girl ain't had a proper bath since the resto. There, nice and clean now.

1715476375011.png

Also pulled the sidestand off and stuck it in the orange beast.... took the factory(?) bend out of it. Now she sits about like she's supposed to. I'd already welded about 3/8" worth of plate to the bottom, which helped. But it still leaned a bit too far for my liking, so now it looks and feels about right.

1715476671079.png

The tires are well past their use by date.... 2014. Wasn't too concerned about it until this spring, but the front was noticeably harder than it should be. The rear still feels pretty soft, but it's got the same DOM, so I'm thinkin' I'll just order one for the rear and be done with it.
Anyway... new Dunlop 404 on the front.

1715477461227.png

1715477486062.png

1715477514428.png

1715477547496.png

After the cleanup, shot some grease in all the zerks, cleaned lubed and adjusted the chain.... all part of the annual.
Still need to fiddle with the throttle cable. If you turn the front end all the way to the right it pulls on the cable and gives the engine an extra thousand or so revs.

Not sure if I pointed this out before, but a 2X4 and scissor jack do a fair job of lifting the front end for tire changes and such. The back (aft) of the 2X4 is notched so it clears the centerstand spring and rests on the centerstand cross tube. Holes are drilled where the oil drain plug and two of the case studs protrude from the bottom of the engine. The front of it is notched and two screws to hold the jack captive... works a treat. I keep tellin' myself I need to make a proper one out of hardwood, but I'm still using this one made from knotty pine. One of these days...

1715477815996.png

1715477913887.png

1715477932761.png

Back