Headlight Wiring...Converting to R6 controls...need HELP!

dimka pdx

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been wrenching on this bike (pics below - 79 XS 650) for a while now, as time permits. I am just in the final stages of getting some fiberglass work done, and make sure I get all the wiring figured out before breaking her down for some paint and powdercoating.

Xs650ingarage.jpg

Xs650ingarage2.jpg

Here is my question for all you electrical gurus out there --> I am trying to make sure I understand all the current headlight wiring before I start cutting and splicing to make R6 controls work. The problem I have is that the only wire that is getting any voltage at the six prong harness at the left control is the brown/white wire which is flashing...obviously for the turn signals. I traced wiring diagrams and it looks like power should be coming from Blue/yellow and Blue/green for the headlight...which are wired into the Reserve lighting module. However, as I trace these wires upstream to the Reserve lighting module, I notice that NONE of the wires at the module are getting power (with the ignition on)...which means I am not sure how the headlight would ever get power from the Reserve lighting module, if it doesn't have any power. Tracking down all the wires for the Reserve lighting on the diagram, I have no idea where the power comes from...it looks like there is only one incoming wire that is yellow...that is supposed to inform the module when brights are on...right?

I am sure I am missing something really dumb here...but thought I would lean on the expertise of the community for some advice.

Thank you so much in advance.

dimka pdx;

You have no power at the RLU because the power is switched by the Safety Relay when the alternator starts to produce power.

Power leaves the headlight fuse on the red/yellow wire.When the SR operates, it switches power from the red/yellow to the blue/black on the SR. The blue/black takes power to the RLU, which then goes via the blue/yellow to the dimmer switch.

The headlight is kept off during starting, and then switched on when the engine starts.

dimka pdx;

You have no power at the RLU because the power is switched by the Safety Relay when the alternator starts to produce power.

Power leaves the headlight fuse on the red/yellow wire.When the SR operates, it switches power from the red/yellow to the blue/black on the SR. The blue/black takes power to the RLU, which then goes via the blue/yellow to the dimmer switch.

The headlight is kept off during starting, and then switched on when the engine starts.

Retiredgentlemen --> thank you...once again. If not mistaken, you are the one who helped me last time when I found out that Mikes XS harness has a fault in the kill switch wiring.

Your post explains a LOT! Thanks agian.

dimka pdx;

Quick follow-up question --> For the purposes of inital setup/diagnostics, is there any reason I can't send 12V to the blue/black wire coming out of the safety relay? This should "in theory" light up the RLU and everything downstream...that should be lit up.

dimka pdx;

Yes, you can do that. The headlight will come on when the ignition is turned on. The downside is that it robs some voltage while starting.

Retiredgentleman,

You seem to really know your way around wiring...so I'll throw one more question out there for you...and again...thanks for all the help!

All of the R6 controls are wired in, with some custom modifications required. The one challenge I am running into is that when I turn on either the right, or left, turn signal, all signals light up very dimly. When I unplug the "pilot box" (where the three lights for turn, neutral and headlight faliure are located), the correct side (either right or left) lights up, but does not flash.

I am guessing there might be a short in the pilot box...but I am leaving unplugged for now.

In checking my wiring, there is a brown wire coming into the left hand control switch that is from the flasher and provides a flashing/intermittent 12v source. After the turn switch is properly connected, the flashing 12v source is then relayed to the wires meant to connect to the harness (Dark green and Brown). When I connect these wires to the harness though, the flashing stops.

Now, I am running LED turn signals...which could be a culprit. I can only assume there is a flasher out there with a different resistance...but not sure.

Any advice?

To follow up that last post...I think I answered my own question about the flashing. I believe I need an LED specific flasher. Just ordered one on eBay to see if it will solve my problem.

However, I still need to work through the problem with the Pilot Box.

Back