Headlight Wiring

schpud

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a replacement headlight with 4 wires (Yellow, White, Blue, Green). All the wiring diagrams I've seen for xs's are for 3 wires, and are Blue, Yellow, Black. Which wires on the light that I bought would correspond to the stock xs wires?

Find 12v (like the battery) and just start holding wires to the + and - side. You'll figure out which wire is the low and high beam. I presume the 4th wire separately powers a high beam indicator on top of the headlight? The factory stuff usually runs it in series with the high beam.

On your new headlight, green is probably the ground. Blue is probably the + side for high beam. White (or yellow) are probably the + side for low beam.

Yeah, there is an indicator on top. The yellow wire is half as long as the others, would that most likely be for the indicator?

If you take the light apart so you can see the wires to the bulb itself you will see a plug with three wires. The plug will have two verticle prongs and one horizontal prong. The horizontal prong is the low beam. If the horizontal prong is on the top then the right side verticle is the high beam, The left side verticle is the ground.
What ever the colors are don't matter.
Just hook the left side prong to ground, on your bike the black wire.
The right side to high beam, yellow on the bike.
The top to the low beam, green bike.
You will find the the indicator in the shell is already hooked to the high beam. Your light might also have a built in daytime running light. That is a small bulb in the lower half of the headlight, seperate from the regular high/low beam bulb.
Your headlight should come with instructions, follow them.

On alot i buy like that WHITE has to be grounded. Light has no ground until white wire is grounded. Its easy trace wires hook up to battery

Back