Helmet art anyone?

Grab a helmet, paint, and beer, and enjoy! Use your imagination!

And I agree with George, dont let it die!

Wow... some kool lids on here! I'd love to have a custom-painted full-face one for my TX, but have never been able to decide on a direction for it. Wouldn't want it to "match", exactly... more like "echo".

Some really ace workmanship in this thread!

TC

This was my brothers Christmas present.

DSCN5439.JPG

DSCN5441.JPG

DSCN5440.JPG

This was my brothers Christmas present.

DSCN5439.JPG

DSCN5441.JPG

DSCN5440.JPG

I've been thinking of painting my gloss black helmet.I've seen warnings on helmets not to paint them as it weakens them.Is there good paints you can use?Does it depend on helmet material?Mine appears to be some type of plastic.Hopefully someone out there has looked into this.

I've been thinking of painting my gloss black helmet.I've seen warnings on helmets not to paint them as it weakens them.Is there good paints you can use?Does it depend on helmet material?Mine appears to be some type of plastic.Hopefully someone out there has looked into this.

Man I couldn't tell you. I wouldn't expect a fiberglass/composite helmet to be effected by paint. The polyester resin is used for gas tanks!
ABS skinned lids would be a concern. And if your padding is EPS (Styrofoam) organic solvents will destroy it (if you get any on).
I sent that one off to a local pinstriper as I'm in the UK right now.
Considering the number of custom painted Bell's, Biltwell's, Fulmer's and Buco's you see on forums I wouldn't worry unless yours is an oddball.

Now that I think of it, I have a couple of vintage helmets that have some kind of a plastic outer layer. Even then, I would trust the guidance of an experienced painter.

Chris

The warning is there to cover their own asses, just in case something were to happen.

But paint wont effect the structural integrity.

The warning is there to cover their own asses, just in case something were to happen.

But paint wont effect the structural integrity.

I know OSHA won't let you paint a hard-hat. Their reasoning is that the paint could hide damage. Probably the same logic here, that and exactly what Tron said: corporate CYA.

Back