Help!!! charging problems

h2omoto

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello to all the XS lovers!!!:thumbsup: I am in need of some help. I have a 1980 XS that I have chopped and have been riding for about two years now. My charging system has always been finikie to say the least.:confused: I have had numerous regulators on it and they work good for a little while and then they go caput... Now I am not having a problem with charging per say but overcharging. It will charge at almost 17+ volts.:yikes: Stick a new regulator on it and your good for a couple of months. Is there something I have not done right maybe in the wiring harness. I made the harness myself and it is identical to the one you can find on bikebreed.com (XS charging system with combined reg/rectifier). I have found all kinds of info on no charging but have struck out on overcharging.

Any help would be greatly apperciated. I am supposed to ride my bike to Knoxville Tn.:bike: this weekend for (get this) somebody wants to take pics of my bike and some buddies of mine bikes for a calender in 2012.:laugh: We will see how corny it is but who knows. It could be cool.

Thanks again for any help!!!

moto-manic

Hmmm. I read through the post but I have a reg/rectifier combo. I am curious about the reg/rectifier combo if my stator is just cooking them???

Regulators need to have the correct reference voltage. By that I mean, the battery + and the ground connection-, must both be a secure and low resistance connection. If either connection is corroded or wires are frayed or parially broken, then the regulator sees that as low voltage and drives the rotor to full current flow and full magnetic field. Result is extremely high voltage such as 17+.

I had this happen on a truck I owned, and I also had it happen on my present bike. With my bike it was a broken ground wire coming out of the regulator.

Here is something to check. Start your engine and allow a few minutes for the battery to recover from the starter motor load. With the engine idling at 1200 rpm, measure the voltage across the 2 brushes on the alternator...............it will likely be around 11 or 12 volts. Now rev th engine up to 3000 or 3500 rpm.............if the regulator is doing its job, the voltage across the brushes should decrease down to 6 or 7 volts.

Last edited:
Back