Help ID-ing fuel tank(s).... fiberglass

Norman1950

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked both of these gas tanks up on my local craigslist last night. One is a Wassel "style" that hasn't seen any gas in it, or cleaned out nicely. Don't believe this is a real Wassel, as I can't find a "Made in England" stamp on the tunnel.

But this other tank not quite sure. It is a fiberglass tank, never been used. To me it looks like a paughco sporty tank. It doesn't have any markings on it top or bottom.

Just wondering if anyone else would have more insight on the fiberglass tank. Are they ok to use? Do I need to put a sealer in there?

Thanks for the help.

The top tank is an aftermarket reproduction Sportster tank.

The bottom tank appears to be a 500cc Indian (made by Royal Enfield) tank from the 1960's. I believe the gas cap on yours even says "Indian". It looks like the rear mount has been cut and modded though...

Here is a pic of the Indian / Enfield tank on a bike. This is an early model with bolt on tank side panels. You tank is a later model, without the side panels and associated tank brackets... but I cant find a good photo of a late tank.
http://thersic.com/wordpress/wordpress/?p=8357

Thank you for the info! I will post some more pics later. I was in a hurry last night.

Any one suggest running a fiberglass tank, or suggest against it?

Thanks

Back