Help - Identify - Small - Widget

foureyes

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to the forum and like most newbees have been lurking in the background soaking up all the advice.

First post as I haven't spotted this in the forums and can't find the answer in the Clymer manual.

I'm hoping that someone can help me identify the small widget that I found when opening the clutch cover.

I have no idea where it came from it just dropped into the cover when I removed it from the crankcase.

The electric starter fix is now complete but I don't want to replace the clutch basket or go any further before checking that this noggin shouldn't be living somewhere behind the clutch.

Any help gratefully received...

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 336
Hi foureyes,
'ow bist thee our kid? do they still speak Bedminster dialect back 'ome?
As to the widget, do the photo like on the CSI shows, up close with a ruler next to the part. Perhaps more than one view, too.

I see a clutch basket rivet. You can find useable replacements on eBay. Try to find one without ridges in the fingers were the clutch plates ride.

Hi and Welcome foureyes :thumbsup:
We're not too far apart you and I .......I used to commute and work in the St Pauls district :yikes:

I hope I don't find one of those when I remove my cover this weekend.
Will you be going to the annual Japfest at Haynes motor Museum Sparkford next month ?
Johnny

Thanks everyone for the response!

I'm in the shed tonight so I'll take a look at the clutch rivets and the shifter pin.

Judging by gggGary's fine photography and the fact I'm getting false neutrals from 3rd to 4th I'm thinking it more likely the shifter issue.

More soon...

@Peanut - Hopefully I'm free on the 14th for Japfest - Never been but looks like a must see.
@fredintoon - Lots of Bedmo lingo going on here!

Update.

So I had a good look tonight at the clutch basket (all rivets present and correct) and the shift rocker as gggGary suggested.

The shift rocker pivot seems to be intact but it looks like the 'widget' is missing from the arm above??

Whilst looking I also noticed that only four of the five shift star arms has a rod behind. Is this normal?

I'm off to Yambits and Mikes now to see if I can find a replacement. I've got a couple of days with a spanners next week so trying to line things up for then.

@gggGary. My shift mech seems different to yours. Mine is a 82 Special USDM. I guess there are plenty of small differences through the years.

Cheers all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 272
See that arm on the left, the one with the spring attached to the top and a hole near the bottom? I'm pretty sure your "widget" goes in that hole .....

ShiftSprings2.jpg

Looks like you have a bit more digging around to do, I think the red circle is the widget that keeps the big wheel (green circle) on. You need to find your big wheel, I think getting that back in place that will cure the missing shifts. IIRC it keeps the the star wheel / shift shaft centered when the spring pushes it between the rods.

ShiftSprings.jpg

Thanks 5Twins/gggGary.

Relieved to hear my star has the correct amount of rods

Here's the photo that I failed to upload last night.

As you can see my shift mech is a bit different from both of yours but it clearly shows the hole that the 'widget' belongs in. However I can't see anything behind that it would engage with though?

Attachments

• SX650 Shift Rocker.jpg
    SX650 Shift Rocker.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 241
the widget is rivetted to the missing disk through the hole on the arm .It cannot be fixed to the the crankcase because the arm with the hole in it is free to move on its pivot fixing at the bottom and is held in place by the pressure of the spring at the top.
it will be clear once you have dismantled it.:wink2:

Attachments

• SX650 Shift Rocker.jpg
    SX650 Shift Rocker.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 229
That area stays the same (all parts interchange) for all the years 70-84 yours SHOULD (has to) look like our pics.

This Yamaha 341-18140-00-00 STOPPER LEVER ASY is used on these models and components:

1970 XS1 SHIFTER A
1972 XS2 SHIFTER A
1973 TX650 SHIFTER A
1973 TX750 SHIFTER 1
1974 TX650A SHIFT CAM-FORK TX650A - XS650B - C
1974 TX750A SHIFTER 1
1975 XS650B SHIFT CAM-FORK TX650A - XS650B - C
1977 XS650D SHIFTER 1 XS650D - E - E006501- - F
1978 XS650SE SHIFT CAM FORK
1978 XS650SE SHIFT CAM-FORK
1978 XS650SE-11 SHIFT CAM FORK
1978 XS650SE-11 SHIFT CAM-FORK