Help,Losing my mind

Okay thanks, I'm probably not going to get anywhere soon. I don't have a strobe or anyone with one. Even with my manual timing is something I just can't get my head around.

Also I am not trying to do any mods to the bike before tuning it, I am only tryng to get the bike to run correctly the way it came to me as I said in my previous posts, this really isn't a poor dudes bike, back to prego chicks on the bus till my Trump is back. Thanks anyways guys.

Okay, so I'm not going to let this piece of metal beat me. Even if I have next to no budget I think I can get it to do what I need with the things I have. I noticed that the ignition advance, when I open it manually doesn't return. It just stayed open. I figured the springs were weak and replaced it with the spring from a Chevy distributor. It snaps right back now. Also one of the weights seems to have play where it seats so I will peen that.

I'm gonna do some googling around and get a good layman's explanation of timing and scrounge a light up. I'm fairly sure I'm smarter than a motorcycle. Fairly sure. Thanks for all the patience so far. Ryan

They have tool loan programs at parts chain stores. You put up the money for it, but when you bring it back they give you all your money back. Timing lights and lots of other tools.

As is, it seems like it's running but just won't go over 70. I wouldn't trade that for riding the bus.

You're totally right, I just got frustrated. It really gets me when I can't figure something out. I'll check on the tool loan, theres probably a place near by that does it.

Thanks. I only use the expressway when going to and from work so I need to be able to go 70 and have some extra incase I need to get out of the way.

This may help you with the timing. It explains the correct sequence and what the adjustments do. Combine it with your manual instructions and you should be able to figure it out .....

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ID&action=display&thread=7984

Yes, the advance springs can get weak and need replacing but sometimes it's the advance rod that needs servicing. It needs to be cleaned and greased occasionally. If you do get a timing light, make sure the advance is functioning correctly. Those Chevy springs could be too stiff and impede the advance action. If you never reach full advance, you won't develop full power. Advance should start just above idle at maybe 1300 to 1400 RPM and reach full advance by 3500 RPM.

Savage- I too have a 75 with 38's. I have pods and modified shorty mufflers, so all in all a very similar setup- (i do have a pamco ignition though which i love). I got things dialed in nicely now and just reached 105mph on a straightaway yesterday. It was fun but didn't feel safe. I can ride at 70-75 all day long at about 4500 rpm, so your setup will be able to get you where you want to be. I notice that my bike likes to shift up at about 6000rpm or so to get the most power in the next gear. If I prematurely shift up at a lower rpm it seem as though giving lots of throttle does little. Good luck with your setup. But you should be able to reach the speeds i do with stock gearing.

Thanks 5 twins I will look into that. I just had a friend of mine talk me through the theory behind timing and it now makes much more sense. Now I think the points and plate behind it are aftermarket or newer anyhow, the advance too. These look much cleaner and newer than the rest of the bike. On the back plate where the large flat head screws are that you loosen to move the plate aren't notched but have a half moon shaped hole to allow movement.

My question is I adjusted my points gap to .014 (spec is in between .012 and .016) and when adjusting my timing at full retard position I am using the cellophane from a deck of smokes as a feeler gauge to tell when my points are just opening. With the back plate all the way shifted forward as far as it will go it still isn't grabbing the cellophane. Is this due to needing my points gap closer to the min. spec or can I file a little bit out of the back plate to get a little more adjustment room? I can post a picture if that helps.

Also, when trying to time it in the full advanced position what can I use to keep my weights open?

Johnnymac.. Thanks for the words man. I really do love the bike, I'm just gonna keep plodding away. My bike seems to want to shift up at around 4000 if it goes higher it seems to be screaming. I don't know if that's just because of the open pipes or a timing issue. I guess I'll see when I get the timing sorted out.

Here's a video made by a fellow on the XS400 forum, mcrowell75. Shows him working on static setting of his timing. There are also other videos on that page. Hope this helps.

Back