Help me remove stuck exhaust flange studs.

sherwin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am in the process of breaking down my engine for a rebuild. Two of the studs that hold the exhaust in are stuck, I would like to use new ones. How do I remove the old studs?

Thank you.

Last edited:
heat (propane torch/heat gun) and liberal use of penatrating oil are your best friends here, two nuts tightened against each other on the stud to turn out, heat around the stud apply oil to work into threads let it set to allow oil to work in, heat again to expand aluminum head try turning stud out

All 4 of mine ended up seized into the engine somehow, not a problem though. I ended up welding the nuts onto them and turning them out with a wrench. Took about an hour and a half to remove 4 small studs! Sheesh.

Weld a nut on the stud with the amperage cranked, then take a candle and press it against the stud while still hot, the wax will work its way in the threads and lube them as you turn the bolt out. You may have to reheat the bolt and rewax it but it works like a charm.

I am in the process of breaking down my engine for a rebuild. Two of the studs that hold the exhaust in are stuck, I would like to use new ones. How do I remove the old studs?

Thank you.

I used penetrating exhaust oil but was able to take out only one. I go around like that and as long as it doesn't give any problem I plan to go around like that:D

Last edited:
You can get a stud removal socket. Type stud removal tool into google. Probably can get one at Advance or Auto Zone. Looks like this. Use your plumbers tirch for a minute, and heat the aluminum around the stud. You can also get new studs from the auto parts store.

John

555-80510.jpg

Thanks everyone for the information. I think I'll look into trying the stud removal tool first, seems the easiest.

Thanks again,
Sherwin

Back