help, no spark in gear

xstim

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys
I have not had any trouble with the bike for a long time now but when I started it up this morning it would run fine until I put it in gear. The wire on the case is attatched,
(motor quits when it it is disconnected). The little relay box behind the left side cover, clicks when the wire on the cases is connected or disconected. I know it is not much to go on, but any help is appreciated.
Cheers.
( it is an '83 )

The wire on the case is the neutral switch. But I think it could be the side stand switch.
It wires into a relay under the left side panel. Locate the coupling from the switch unplug and make a jump wire.

Weekendrider has zeroed in on the problem area.

The 82 and 83 have an interlock that disables the TCI (ignition). In order to have ignition, the neutral switch must be made or the sidestand switch must be up. They both feed a ground into the sidestand relay. Your sidestand switch is likely faulty, so either repair it or jumper it. Another way is to simply remove the sidestand relay, but you lose the protection of the two interlocks. The sidestand relay has 4 wires................red/white, blue/yellow, black/white, black

Hey guys thanks alot. I think I can get this going. Too bad I missed a great sunny day.
Tim

I am suffering from lack of spark on an 82 as well.
Now I did some jumpering last year and had the bike running, but subsequent injury etc etc lead me to forget about it till now.

What wire to what do I jumper please.

What about the other relay on the left side, I remember jumpering 2 relays.

Thanks guys.
Cool.
Srinath.

Back