Help on value xs650 with halco engine

xsive840cc

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm hoping that somebody may be able to give me some advice as to the value of a 1978 xs650 with a Halco tuned 840 cc engine that has been offered to me. It is tidy, sounds great with fantastic throttle response. The wheels are mag alloy with twin disks up front. The frame has been powder coated and the tank has been sprayed satin black. The chrome is also looking good. I look forward to hearing from anybody with a view on this matter.

Hi xsive,
for a UK value I'd have expected that our British members would have piped up by now. But if the bike was within a day's drive of Saskatoon I'd expect a perhaps $2,000 asking price.
Best I can say is check the local asking price on a good un-modified '78 XS650 and start dickering from there.

Ummm Fred , you did read the post ?

Hi. I'm hoping that somebody may be able to give me some advice as to the value of a 1978 xs650 with a Halco tuned 840 cc engine[/COLOR] that has been offered to me.

Price of the original parts without labor exceeds $2500 . Add a high ratio primary and it goes well over $3k . Assembled ? Running? 840 HALCO ? Who cares what bike it's in unless an original Rickman...

You Must verify its HALCO . AND an 840 . Then and only then , let the games begin .

The value ? What ever you pay for it . :thumbsup:

~kop

Last edited:
I'd never pay for a highly modified engine unless I saw a dyno sheet from a reputable shop along with photos of engine numbers, etc. A collection of expensive parts put together poorly is a recipe for financial disaster.

Well, thanks to everyone so far. I will get some photos and post them. I'm also looking into the history of the bike to try and verify the engine. The bike has been owned locally for a long time, however, the owner that had it originally is having an extended stay at Her Majesties Hotel for naughty boys. Would be great if an owner of another halco engined cycle could give any advice. Update soon. Thanks again.

Last one I had that sounded like that I sold for just over 2k about 3 years ago, just before the prices started to get really silly, a dealer bought it I saw the same bike up for sale a year later at just under 4k,
If you can find one the engines go for around a grand,

I thought I had a halco in the box of bits my bike used to be, turned out it wasn't, just plain old stock! all the covers had Halco on them which made me think I had one. Stock size pistons and bore told me otherwise. Luckily I only paid £550 for the lot in boxes!

A typical normal clean xs goes for £1600 upwards I have noticed. except the rarer earlier models.
So £2K is probably a good start I think.

The first thing you're gonna need is a REAL STRONG leg to kick it over....I owned an 840 in the late 80s and they can be a right bugger till you REALLY get to know'em

I have just bought a Halco 1000 ccm engine without carbs and with a damaged housing (oilseal outgoing shaft cant be set properly)
and i paid 25000,- Danish Kroner for it, its now taken to pieces and its in briliant condition. crank is stroked 10 mm and bore is 87mm, its equal to 599,55 ccm/each cylinder
my name is Mikael Einspor

Back