HELP stuck in Cortez, co

rowdyrandy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broken down in Cortez with a bad pma - anyone out there in the area? Maybe with a puller for Hugh's pma so we can see what's going on? Pma as of now won't start the bike or charge the battery - when I checked the stator wires before it died I was only getting 2 volts - battery was only at 6 and then it died for good. Anyone?

You're out in the middle of nowhere. Could try limping home with a couple of brand-new, large capacity, fully charged batteries. Minimum electrics, everything unplugged or off, run only the ignition system, kickstart only.

According to this: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=363526&postcount=116

Your best-case scenario, with one fresh 12ah battery, could get you 580 minutes of run time. That's about 9 1/2 hours.
Larger battery, or two batteries (run one until dead, then swap), will get much longer run time...

Last edited:
Hi Randy,
what 2-many sez.
Or, if you reckon your bike's battery will be OK again after a re-charge, rather than look for a bike shop, buy a more readily available lawn tractor or small car battery, bungie it onto the back half of the bike seat and hook it up with jumper cables.

I agree with the lads....................you need a freshly charged battery, and then head for the nearest large town/city.

I just googled "U-haul" in Colorado. Cortez appears to have 3 U-haul dealers. They may be your best choice, if you can't get the engine going.

If you had a volt meter on your bike, it would have given you some advanced warning that the charging system/battery was heading south.

Good luck.

If you had a volt meter on your bike, it would have given you some advanced warning that the charging system/battery was heading south.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear of your predicament but RG speaks the solid truth..........volt meter should be mandatory for all these bikes........saved me arse a time or two.........

Well after this a volt meter is starting to sound like a worth while investment

Thanks for the responses guys - got in touch with Hugh and he's overnighting a new stator. Fantastic. In the meanwhile I have two 6v 11ah lantern batteries wired in parallel powering this thing (pamco) - I rode 50 miles as a test yesterday with just one battery and it still read 6.3v when I stopped. No headlight of course but my led taillight works well enough and I'm back on the road.

Oh and ps don't ever stay at the days end inn in Durango co - woke up this morning to find my buddies bike had been knocked over with a broken mirror and someone pulled my carbs right out of their boots... I guess in an attempt to steal them.. Yeah, not the trip I had in mind

I live in palisade about 3.5 hours north. Out of town right now but have family home. Your more than welcome. Have a spare set of carbs you can use.

Back