Help With Evaluating Pair of XS Projects

Last930

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Went and looked at a pair of xs650’s for sale through word of mouth yesterday. They were stuck in the back of a garage so I couldn’t get picturesof data tags, etc. 1) Heritage Special, complete with 14k miles 2) Special, year unknown, complete with 13k miles. Both have been sitting in a garage for a few years, gas drained and tanks sprayed with oil, cylinders fogged. Both painted black, seems original. Pretty cruddy with some corrosion but engines turn over with lots of compression. Questions:
A) Special has reardisk brake and black painted cylinders - range of years?
B) I can get them for $500 for the pair - worth it?
C) If I clean out carbs and rebuild brakes what would they be worth in running condition but somewhat well used cosmetics?

Thinking about project bikes for my kids. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Titles! With titles $500 for the pair would be a good price.
If the carbs have chrome tops Special would be 80

Last edited:
Titles! With titles $500 for the pair would be a good price.
If the carbs have chrome tops Special would be 80
They do have titles, and actually a few neat additions like new batteries that have never been filled, a couple of new unmounted tires (who knows how old) . The Heritage Special has black fenders and those strange spoked wheels - 82-83?

I guess they're worth what someone is willing to give you for one, lol. But, cosmetically challenged, running, and in pretty good shape mechanically, I think you could probably get $800 to $1000 each for them.

The Heritage Special with the black fenders, if they're original and not someone's spray bomb job, would be an '82. Disc brake rear wheels came on the '78-'80 Specials.

"82 is when Yamaha began disks on the back if I am correct. I have an '81 with the drum and have been told to keep it as many '81s lost their OEM back brakes due to people upgrading to disk. It really does not matter for the price you are getting both bikes at.

"82 is when Yamaha began disks on the back if I am correct. I have an '81 with the drum and have been told to keep it as many '81s lost their OEM back brakes due to people upgrading to disk. It really does not matter for the price you are getting both bikes at.
78 Special was the first year with the rear disk iirc.

'78, '79, and '80 Specials got a rear disk brake. The '79, '80, and '81 Special II kept drum brakes and conventional spoke wheels. The '79 Special II got aluminum alloy rims. The '81 Special has a drum brake cast wheel as does the '84 available in Canada. The '82 & '83 Heritage Special has 48 spoke wheels and drum brake. The disk brake Specials have differences in the frame and swingarm for mounting disk brake components.

'78, '79, and '80 Specials got a rear disk brake. The '79, '80, and '81 Special II kept drum brakes and conventional spoke wheels. The '79 Special II got aluminum alloy rims. The '81 Special has a drum brake cast wheel as does the '84 available in Canada. The '82 & '83 Heritage Special has 48 spoke wheels and drum brake. The disk brake Specials have differences in the frame and swingarm for mounting disk brake components.

Hi marty,
my Canadian '84 Heritage Special has a little plastic box where the rear brake hydraulics is located on disk rear XS650s
The box holds a security chain that's keyed to fit the bikes ignition key. The chain itself is maybe strong enough to walk a medium-size dog.
Is this alleged security feature on other years of drum rear XS650s or just the '84s?
&FYI; Drum rear & disk rear swingarms can be made dual-purpose by welding on the other type of torque stay.

Hi marty,
my Canadian '84 Heritage Special has a little plastic box where the rear brake hydraulics is located on disk rear XS650s
The box holds a security chain that's keyed to fit the bikes ignition key. The chain itself is maybe strong enough to walk a medium-size dog.
Is this alleged security feature on other years of drum rear XS650s or just the '84s?
&FYI; Drum rear & disk rear swingarms can be made dual-purpose by welding on the other type of torque stay.
This security feature (using the term loosely) began with the 1981 Special or XS650SH. I don't know whether or not the Special II has it. On the Heritage Specials, it is hidden behind the lower right side cover. The '81 Special has it in plain sight.

To me, this is gold. How do I save or bookmark this post?

Back