Help with value of an XS

Malingerer

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys new her and dont know much about the value of these bikes.I went to look at one which was all complete.It was a titled 1981 xs 650 with a TC Bros hardtail,polished engine cases,polished and shaved lowers ,pod filters,Nash 14" apes,Nash Fuel sling,Coker WWW rear tire,Harley 1 " risers,tequila lime kandy and white paint over silver flake(real nice but not 100%)I was told it had about 9000 org miles.No way to verify this but started on 1 kick and sounded good to me any way .Steel seat pan with mono shock.No front brake, speedo, or turn signals.My only concerns were alot of play in the riser bushings.After research seems to be common and not a big deal.A little residual oil around the head gasket.What would be the value on something like this.I have pics and can email them if it would help some one come up a better idea.I would post them but dont know how. Thanks for any replies or help.

I want to get some ideas from people before I say what I can get it for dont want to look stupid. To me it seems like a great deal.But like I said I have been mostly a Harley guy and dont know these bikes at all.If you pm me your email I can send you pics if it helps.

Alright, I'll toss out a number. He would probably like 4-5K for it, and it's probably worth 3-3500. That's my guess.

Alright, I'll toss out a number. He would probably like 4-5K for it, and it's probably worth 3-3500. That's my guess.

Thanks thats what I am looking for I want people to toss some #s around.I would like to get a few more what do you think about the oil around the head gasket .From the research I have done and what I have read so far this seems to be normal for these bikes.

I can't say much about chopper values. I wouldn't pay much. To much work to make them right again.
Too post pics click where it says "go advanced" just below here when you post a responce. This will take you to a page where you can post pics. There is a spot that says "add attachments" Click it and a window opens where you can search your computer and select a pic.

ya, use that, but dont tell him its an easy fix once its out, but since its a custom job, he prolly already knows.

This guy knows more than I will ever know.Which scares me a little, that he would be able to hide things Since I dont know sh!t about these bikes.Not that I think he is .When I looked at it he seemed like a real nice straight up guy.I truly do believe him about the milage as well Just cant be too careful.He owns his own little custom bike shop and was chosen to do a biker build off.He was given a GSXR 1000 and modified it with Lexan wheels etc.Which makes me feel better about his workmanship ,back round and skill level as well

Well unless it was super nice and I mean super nice (which it does not sound like its in that category) I would not pay more than about $2500. No front brake? Start adding some $ there. I am about as old school as they come, but just because we were stupid enough to run with no front brake in the seventies don't make it a good idea now. I would bet you could put another $1000 in getting things right, IMHO

Also will depend on the paint. If its just a one color plain paint job, I've seen Hardtails go for as little as $1200 this summer. People are hurting for cash and winter is a good time to buy these bikes. Personally I wouldn't pay more than 2k since I can pretty much build my own for less than that.

For the two complete stockers I have I paid a total of $200 for. Good compression in both and had them both running after cleaning carbs.

It's not a bad looking bike. You can get riding on an XS much cheaper if you have the mechanical know how. It seems that a lot of the people here have gotten really good deals on their XS's. As for this bike, I would start negotiating at $2500 and wouldn't pay over $3500. That's if I find it to run and drive tip top. It could be a lot cleaner in my opinion. It looks like he did things the easy way on this build. I honestly personally would give $3000 and that's it.

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

No its pretty nice paint Like I said Its a silver metal flake base with a white and tequila lime kandy sprayed over it.There is no way I can build a bike like this for what I can get it for.Parts alone this has most likely 2000.00 into it.Paint 800.00 -900.00 The frame is painted same color as the bike The white wall is like 150.00-200.00 Nash bars are like 180.00 Nash fuel sling another 100.00. TC Bros hard tail like another 230.00.I have no welding skills,no painting skills.While I can change a head gasket,change carbs etc.I would not trust myself to rebuild a motor.Hell I cant even find a decent titled donor bike with a good motor around these parts for under a 1000.00.

It's not a bad looking bike. You can get riding on an XS much cheaper if you have the mechanical know how. It seems that a lot of the people here have gotten really good deals on their XS's. As for this bike, I would start negotiating at $2500 and wouldn't pay over $3500. That's if I find it to run and drive tip top. It could be a lot cleaner in my opinion. It looks like he did things the easy way on this build. I honestly personally would give $3000 and that's it.

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

How come I cant see the pics. There are just little red boxes with ? in them. What do you mean like the easy way out and how could it be cleaned up. This is the type of info I was looking for I can get it for 2800.00 Is that good or know

I picked up a 1981 Special for $500 from the original owner with less than 9K miles. You gotta look hard to get the deals. Granted the carbs need cleaned and there is a charging system issue, but it runs and drives. The problem with anything custom is that you never recoup your money out of it. When I am buying a custom vehicle, I usually take all the upgrades and what they cost installed and take 50% of that number, then add it to the base value of the vehicle to determine the value. And that has always been pretty much spot on for me. But something is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I would see if he would do $2500, but I would say yeah to $2800. That's not a bad deal.

You cant see it because I linked it from my email, my net is too slow to use a host site, so yeah, I fail.

What do you think could be cleaned up on this .Do you mean wiring etc.He will go not a penny less than 2800.00.Does location come into play as far as value goes Remember everything in NY is $$$.

Yeah, the wiring really takes away from the bike to me. Not work that would be indicative of someone selected for Biker Build-off if you ask me. Is the bike worth $2800 to you? I have seen stock XS go for $1500 to $2000 in good condition.

Back