HHB PMA not charging above idle?

SOMMS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Long story short: xs650 hardtail with Hugh Handbuilt PMA, Sparxx Capacitor, no battery just kick.

Yesterday after a nice 30 minute ride I pulled over to the store. Shut the bike off. Went in got a soda. Come back out...the bike wont kick over. I try for about 20 min before trailoring the bike home.

Bike runs great with a battery. However, this is what I'm seeing...

Off the HHB stator wires I see 12.50, 11.5 and 11 volts AC at idle. I see 20, 20 and 22 volts AC when I'm revving the motor.

Now get this - off the regulator I see 12.5-13.5 volts DC at idle...but when I rev the bike it DROPS to 4-6 volts. ???

Any ideas gang? Does this mean a bad regulator? A bad stator (I already had one of those and replaced it) or something else?

Thanks a bunch for any insight you guys may have.

PS- I have sent Hugh an email but I know how busy he gets and it may be awhile before I hear back.

SOMMS

Last edited:
On a p.m.a alternator I would expect to see around 14.5 volts at 2000 rpm.

From the figures you have given that is probably OK.

Sounds like the r/r is Donald Ducked but rather than guess suggest you work through this or if that checks out OK this

Yes, its seems like your regulator has failed. If its under warranty, you should get a new regulator for no charge. Did you buy the second stator from the same aftermarket seller? When you replaced the stator, was that under warranty?

How many months/years have the stator and regulator been operating before they fail? This does not speak well for the quality of parts you are buying.

Retired - I did get the 2nd stator from the same place - Hugh himself replaced it at no extra charge. Maybe when the first stator went bad - it damaged the regulator...and it hung on as long as it could til it died on my yesterday? I dunno - just a theory.

Problem is - I need the regulator by mid-week as we are going on a ride. I hope Hugh get's back soon.

Thanks for the feedback.

SOMMS

Back