Hi, help needed identify carbs

foxy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, Can anyone confirm whether these are mikuni bs38s please? also what is the yellow /cream tube piece on bottom for and should they be on both carbs 20141026_114722.jpg:shrug::confused:

they are off a 1971 xs650

Yes, they appear to be the original BS38s for that model. The yellow plastic part on the float bowl bottom was a nipple for an overflow hose and was on both bowls. It's pretty common for them to break off. The part is totally missing from the left bowl and the nipple part appears to have broken off the right one.

Thank you :) can you tell me where I can connect vacuum gauges to balance the carbs, or do they have a special part on them for that

Sorry, those early carbs don't have a vacuum take-off like later ones. You might have to tap into the manifolds.

I think I see an enrichener interconnect hose, and starter/enrichener well protrusions on the right side of the carb bowls, which would make them 72-73. The 70-71 XS1's had two enrichener valves, mechanically interconnected by a steel band, and unique float bowls with starter/enrichener pick-up wells on the left side...

Attachments

• Carbs-XS1.jpg
    Carbs-XS1.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Carbs-XS2.jpg
    Carbs-XS2.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 115
Back