Hi! They tell me this is THE bike...

Welcome aboard AndrewDoesHair...... Great looking guitars.... ... I got the xs650 bug about 7 years ago but couldn't never find any around here. I didn't find one till last year... '75 xs650. It has got a few parts from other years on it.. I was gonna chop it last winter but just couldn't do it............but I think it is gonna happen this winter.... Could you give me some insight on some acoustic guitars? My daughter (turned 15 today) has been playing, singing and song writing for about 2 years and I told her if she continued I would purchase her a better quality guitar... The time has come.... Now she has a Ibanez SGT110-VS-Y2-02 I have put a Fishman pickup under the bridge because she plays and sings in out churches youth band..... I have been looking at a Taylor 314ce and that is about the top of my budget at the moment....

Welcome aboard AndrewDoesHair...... Great looking guitars.... ... I got the xs650 bug about 7 years ago but couldn't never find any around here. I didn't find one till last year... '75 xs650. It has got a few parts from other years on it.. I was gonna chop it last winter but just couldn't do it............but I think it is gonna happen this winter.... Could you give me some insight on some acoustic guitars? My daughter (turned 15 today) has been playing, singing and song writing for about 2 years and I told her if she continued I would purchase her a better quality guitar... The time has come.... Now she has a Ibanez SGT110-VS-Y2-02 I have put a Fishman pickup under the bridge because she plays and sings in out churches youth band..... I have been looking at a Taylor 314ce and that is about the top of my budget at the moment....

Well I don't know a ton about acoustic guitars, I mostly work with electrics, but the little bit that I can affirm is that Gibson is (IMO) the best sounding acoustic. I've played Taylor, Martin, etc, and they're great, but I've been blown away by every Gibson acoustic that I've tried. Granted, some can cost $7,000, but they make a model called the Songmaker, which is about $1000. You get the same things that make the others SOUND great, but they don't put the man hours into the decorative stuff, inlay work, binding work, layering nitrocellulose lacquer which has to cure for 30 days in the warehouse to be wet sanded and buffed to a high gloss, so what you get is a high quality basic-looking guitar for the same price you'd get a basic quality highly-decorated guitar. Well, that's always been my mentality in buying guitars, and the big companies offer a lot for people who shop this way (Fender has a highway One series, made in the same factory as their highest end guitars, but without the frills and decorations, for about half the cost. Gibson sells a "Faded Series" of electric guitars along the same principles). One last warning, is that Martin, while they make some of the best acoustics out there, offers a guitar made from a synthetic material, seems similar to fiberglass, which sounds great, but I've seen two of them become unglued in very important places when it becomes hot out...

I've been playing for 25 years, and my main acoustic is a 1976 Guild D55. I've had a bunch over the years, and they are all a little different. Even identical models. I would say definitely buy used, and then find the right one. My parents bought me one of my first acoustics and it was a really nice gift from them ( I still have it) but it wasn't a great guitar. Might not be the most exciting, but a gift certificate or gift Visa might be a better bet. Let her take the time to find the right one and let her try different ones. It's pretty much the same advice people are offering ADH about waiting for the right XS.
Brands I like are Guild, Martin, Gibson, Larivee and to a lesser degree Taylor. Taylors just don't seem to have as much low end as other brands IMHO. Sorry to hijack, just my .02:thumbsup:

The low end is exactly what I thought about Taylor's. Gibson sounds more full.

I was absolutely going to suggest buying used, because resale is absolute crap for guitars right now. (I got one new for $600 a year ago, and can't sell it at $300 right now, as I need all the dollars I can get for my XS650!). This means you get a great guitar for dirt. Of course there's that weirdness of giving a used item for a gift. I wouldn't mind getting a used guitar though. I guess it depends on the gift receiver.

Back to the bikes, What's everyone think of an XS400? A friends brother is selling one. Should I even look into it, or keep seeking the moar powerz?

Posted via Mobile

If the XS400 interests you, you might want to take a look at our sister site, XS400.com Travis runs that one too. There are a lot of us on both sites. The XS400 is a good little bike. Many think it's more than big enough.
Leo

Back