Hi! They tell me this is THE bike...

Welcome, Andrew. My first motorcycle was a 1972 XS650, bought in 1973! I was 20 years old then. Man, I'm getting old! I still love to ride, and I ride my XS to work every day that I can. This is THE place. Good luck!

DLD1

Sent the pics to my bike buddy. Turns out its a Seca 650, not an XS. After googling pics and seeing it stock, it's damn goofy looking. Il still post the pics of the bike, later. Now I know what I didn't know an hour ago. Cool.

Posted via Mobile

I found the one! It's located like 10 minutes from me, and I really likes the way it looks. I hear that by 1980 the bike had all of it's kinks worked out. The guy wants $1900, which is EXACTLY what I have saved toward a bike (meaning that I couldn't even afford to fill the gas tank after purchasing it). I sent him an offer of $1,500 and I hope he isn't offended by it. Maybe if all of you start sending him offers of $1,000 or so, he'll see my $1,500 as generous. Is this one a rare find? If I miss out on it, will I hate life for the rest of my years?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/3318149111.html

I'm noticing that like 9/10 of the XXS650's I'm finding have that look where it's way taller in the front, and I don't like that (sorry, if that offends anyone here). This particular bike looks very flat, and I'm much more inclined to that style.

Yeah, people turn them into hardtails/ bobbers. I'm with you on that. Doesn't make sense to me, but I also have never ridden one. That bike looks very clean. Right off the bat though, he is suggesting the carbs need to be cleaned. This is pretty normal, but make sure you hear it run before buying it.

Here's that Seca650 that I was looking at yesterday. I don't hate it, but I'd prefer more of a cafe look.
eb9a7e521ded11e2b479123138045d54_7.jpg

I think it is a '78 or '79. Stop/tail light still on the fender, no sightglass in the right case, the round reflector instead of rectangle on the frame near the steering head, the seat looks like a hinged seat instead of a rear push lock, no lock for the push style seat seat (it should be by the right rear turn signal).
The Iowa title in CA could be a problem. I don't know your state laws but you better.
I think I mentioned in my first post some think these are their retirement plan.
I see a $1000-1200(at the top end) rider nothing more.
The request for no weirdo drama to me means he knows he wants too much and doesn't want to hassle about/over the price.
In Iowa he might have bought that bike for $7-900.

That Seca is ugly and it looks like a "rattle can and angle grinder job " . The guy who "built" that "cafe" probably knows even less about motorcycle mechanics than he does about fabrication. I would stay away from that one.

The 1980 XS looks good and it hasn't been destroyed (customized ) yet.

5L95E55H23F83N43H5ca505e8c2959ff916d9.jpg

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/3318149111.html

He said he'll consider the offer of $1,500.... What do you guys think of that price for this bike? Should I crawl back and offer more? Are most of you on board with Weekendrider, that this is a "$1000-1200(at the top end) rider nothing more."

I'm getting all antsy now, I really want this bike. But I don't want to go give him my entire $1,900 that I have saved, and then need to have the bike sit unregistered while I scrape together the money to register it... Should I be comfortable that I offered $1,500 and not worry if I miss the bike at that price, or should I keep at it with this guy and maybe offer more? The listing has been up almost a month, so I assume it might not be priced THAT great...

Take your time and find a good one. Make sure the title is good in your state, and that the numbers match...title and frame head, engine also. it is a big issue if the title isnt good. Could you and maybe your friend check it out together, and hear it run? There are a lot of these bikes out there. When you find one that runs really right, and doesnt make bad noises, you will spend your money wisely. Again, take your time to find a good one.

How many miles did you say? Keep your money in your pocket just yet.
The dirty carbs can be done for free, but the cam chain guide is a known wear item, along with drive chains, sprockets, brushes etc.
The charging system has most likely been abused. Does it work? To check you need it to reeve to 2500 rpm if the dirty carbs won't let it do anything but idle how ya gonna check it? A lot of unknowns for me. Are you familiar with the term pig in a poke?
If you give the 1500 then add taxes and title how much are you going to have for parts.
And I think everyone on the board will agree it is going to need some at some time.

Alright, the plot thickens.

Been texting with the seller. After I offered the $1,500 I wasnt getting a lot of responses from him, he was acting like you've said, like he thinks the bike is his retirement fund. But when I sent him a picture of cash (no words, just the $1,500) he got diarrhea of the mouth. Immediately said "the bike needs work." so I mentioned what he'd said in the ad- "yeah, the carb, right?" and he responded that in addition to the carb, it'll need a new seat. I asked what was wrong with the seat, and he said that it was lost while transporting the bike to CA.

This seems fishy for a few reasons. First, I figured it'd be convenient that the bike now can't be test driven (he says it runs, and sure, maybe it fires up and idles) and second, I wondered what else could have "fallen off" since the pics were taken. Now I'm feeling like $1,500 is the MAX I would offer, and I'm certain the only way he'll get more is if a more naive n00b than myself comes to him. I asked if there were any other issues, after the carbs and seat, and he said that was all.

So before I responded (actually, still waiting to) I called my father in law and emailed him the link. He's a bike guy, been riding for years, and I asked his opinions. He's going to call the seller and feel him out. Still waiting to hear back from him.

I also emailed the link to my motorbike mentor, who (again) has like 40 years experience on bikes, owns dozens of bikes right now, and has a business selling motorcycle parts (reselling others, and manufacturing their own). I've asked him to do the dirty work for me with this guy (I really hope he's willing to do this- the guy has been insanely helpful in mentoring me thus far). I've asked him if he'd be willing to call the guy and use his experience, knowledge, and time tested bargaining skills to get me the best deal. I'm terrible at low balling.

I trust and appreciate the help I've already gotten from you guys. I'm just trying to weigh your advice, my father-in-laws advice, and my motorbike mentor's advice, to see where I should go.

The reasons I'm hooked on this particular bike, is mostly that it's stock. 9/10 of the XS650's I've seen now are already cut and altered 6 ways from Sunday. The other reason is that motorbike mentor's company makes and sells many many parts for this bike, and he's offered to sell them to me at cost, and to let me use his shop to do the dirty work.

Although I've only been eyeballing these Yammies for a few weeks, I've spent that last 3 months reading all about Norton, Triumph, and especially Honda. Even at $1,900 this bike seems to have a lot more to offer than a Honda at the same price. $1,900 will get you a stripped Norton frame, or a running Honda 200...

I suppose the cons could be many, and unseen at this point, by a n00b like me. I'm not going to hand the guy a dollar until either of my present teachers give me their blessing. Are there any members here in SoCal? Maybe these ARE just pricier in this area?

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
I'm with Weekend on this one. Even for being in Ca that is way too much for a bike that doesn't even have an in state title...

Alright, the plot thickens.

Been texting with the seller. After I offered the $1,500 I wasnt getting a lot of responses from him, he was acting like you've said, like he thinks the bike is his retirement fund. But when I sent him a picture of cash (no words, just the $1,500) he got diarrhea of the mouth. Immediately said "the bike needs work." so I mentioned what he'd said in the ad- "yeah, the carb, right?" and he responded that in addition to the carb, it'll need a new seat. I asked what was wrong with the seat, and he said that it was lost while transporting the bike to CA.

This seems fishy for a few reasons. First, I figured it's be convenient that the bike now cont be test driven (he says it runs, and sure, maybe it fires up and idles) and second, I wondered what else could have "fallen off" since the pics were taken. Now I'm feeling like $1,500 is the MAX I would offer, and I'm certain the only way he'll get more is if a more naive n00b than myself comes to him. I asked if there were any other issues, after the carbs and seat, and he said that was all.

So before I responded (actually, still waiting to) I called my father in law and emailed him the link. He's a bike guy, been riding for years, and I asked his opinions. He's going to call the seller and feel him out. Still waiting to hear back from him.

I also emailed the link to my euro bike friend, who (again) has like 40 years experience on bikes, owns 46 bikes right now, and has a business selling motorcycle parts (reselling others, and manufacturing their own). I've asked him to do the dirty work for me with this guy (I really hope he's willing to do this- the guy has been insanely helpful in mentoring me thus far). He's going to call the guy and use his experience, knowledge, and time tested bargaining skills to get me the best deal. I'm terrible at low balling.

I trust and appreciate the help I've already gotten from you guys. I'm just trying to weigh your advice, my father-in-laws advice, and Bill the Euro bike mentor's advice, to see where I should go.

The reasons I'm hooked on this particular bike, is mostly that it's stock. 9/10 of the XS650's I've seen now are already cut and altered 6 ways from Sunday. The other reason is that Bill's company makes and sells many many parts for this bike, and he's offered to sell them to me at cost, and to let me use his shop to do the dirty work.

Although I've only been eyeballing these Yammies for a few weeks, I've spent that last 3 months reading all about Norton, Triumph, and especially Honda. Even at $1,900 this bike seems to have a lot more to offer than a Honda at the same price. $1,900 will get you a stripped Norton frame, or a running Honda 200...

I suppose the cons could be many, and unseen at this point, by a n00b like me. I'm not going to hand the guy a dollar until either of my present teachers give me their blessing. Are there any members here in SoCal? Maybe these ARE just pricier in this area?

Posted via Mobile

HMMM..... I hate when a seller misrepresents what they have . I would drop the offer by a ton . No seat , carbs need work, can't test ride it , . So I am guessing that bike he is selling wont look like that picture ( might not even be the same bike ) . I would not go over $800 for it. Just dont be in a hurry and you will find your bike. Just think, the longer it takes to find the more money you should have for buying/fixing it.

Back