High Pitched Mystery Sound

Hey Dave, yeah, still thinking along the lines of the above post. It's encouraging to hear that you think the sound is reduced, which makes me lean a little more towards that clutch basket gear fit to the primary gear, possibly by that basket swap, or by sleeve bearing clearance.

You're probably past the critical stage now, having replaced that ball bearing. Could just ride it for awhile and see if anything changes. Be sure to change oil after 50-100 miles if you intend to drive it awhile, else do the oil change when you crack it open again.

What are your thoughts on those aforementioned items?

Well, it seems to be going away in all but the first gear, which frankly I'm fine with, specifically now that it the engine, which I've now gone through with a fine toothed comb seems to have another, more upsetting problem: It runs like melted butter, smooooooth as silk, except while riding, every now and again, there will be a RAT-A-TAT-TAT from the engine, like a bolt being rattled around in there. I feel like this may be part of the voodoo curse and may result in my untimely demise.

I've now gone through with a fine toothed comb.... every now and again, there will be a RAT-A-TAT-TAT .

Well, you should be able to tell if the sound is related to the speed of something. If it isn't I recently traced a ratatat to a header banging in the head. Sounded like the engine but extra tightening on the header fixed it. I need to replace the donuts if I can the get the rusty crossover loose to tip the pipes down.

The "every now and then" makes me think it could be something like that. Most real problem sounds with engines are more like "all the time." But use your own judgment in every particular case.

Starter gear like the gears from the electric starter or from the kickstart? i should go in and remove what's left of the electric start gears anyway.

Back