hole in gas tank

Ngreen

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I have a gas tank for my bike. I went to move a bar so it would sit lower and somehow put a hole in it. Dont really know what I did. but now I have a hole. what is the best wayt o fix this hole? i have another tank but i love the looks of this one and REALLY want to keep it. any advise?

It is actually a cb 160 tank. I do not care about the paint. I am going to have to sand it down and repaint anyways. The hole is about 1/4" round or so. And I believe it is steal.

The inside looks good from what I can see. I was told that it was coated with something. I'll get a pic this evening.
it will need welded closed, but if the tank has been coated inside the welding will burn off the coating causing it own problem, welding on a gas tank that had fuel in it recently is tricky as in EXPLOSIVE ... fill with water, dump, let it air out a day, or blow air into the tank for 10 15 minutes before even thinking of welding on it

Haha well I think I may have fixed the gas issue. I tried to plug it w solder till I could get access to a welder. It got plugged and has been for a few weeks but I had a torch in there trying to fix the solder so I could locate my support bar and there was a small explosion type thing that blew the solder out and the body work the po did to the tank right out. I assume there isn't much gas left. I think I will still take your advise though. It nearly scared the shit out of me when it happened. I'm going with the trial by fire method on this build. Literally in this case I suppose. This build is as much about learning about bikes as it is about wanting the finished product.

Back