Hondautomatic

Xs_ragu

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I seemed to stumble on a deal. A one owner Honda automatic.
What to You guys think of them?
Are they worth the work?
Are they a dime a dozen or rare?
It's all there but not running, I'm at the "you make me an offer"stage
How much should I expcet to pay for it?

CM450A? Uncommon, bullet-proof, but not insanely valuable. Worth a few hundred as is, I would guess.

Hey Xs, welcome. I think they are some what rare, I see them every once in awhile and my only thought would be, you may have a had trouble finding parts for it. Check to see if they have a Hondamatic forum like we have.

I've seen a shitty cell phone pic of it. It sits up High with what looks like high dirt bike bars. The guy swears it's stock exept paint
I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks for the input :)

If it's a 750A, and it's decent, grab it. Expect a small clatter from the converter at idle speeds. You will like it unless you're just into horsepower. Be wary of junk carbs, tho. I don't believe they interchange with other 750's (could be wrong), and I think that good ones would be very hard to find, and expensive. Those autos are extremely reliable.

Here is a pic of a CM400 I was building as a café. A guy came and bought it off me before I even finished it. Go to www.mryeats.com and see it also.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 169
The rubber intakes like all carb holders tend to crack and leak. Last I checked there are no replacements available for the automatic models. There is a PITA accelerator pump circuit in the carbs, very tiny hard to clean passages with crappy oring seals. I rebuilt a set for a buddy but the project skidded to a halt over the carb holders.

They are fairly rare but there is a matching lack of interest in 2 speed automatic motorcycles...
Yet another Honda answer to a question no one was asking.
Think about the riding thrills of a 2 speed slush box...

Not everybody is a canyon carving knee dragger or Jay Gleason running thru the gears. It's a nice bike with a good torque band, and fun to cruise on.

The rubber intakes like all carb holders tend to crack and leak. Last I checked there are no replacements available for the automatic models. There is a PITA accelerator pump circuit in the carbs, very tiny hard to clean passages with crappy oring seals. I rebuilt a set for a buddy but the project skidded to a halt over the carb holders.

They are fairly rare but there is a matching lack of interest in 2 speed automatic motorcycles...
Yet another Honda answer to a question no one was asking.
Think about the riding thrills of a 2 speed slush box...

I've only ever seen a couple on the streets, and they were both police bikes. Kind of makes you wonder if that was their intended market.

We sold a couple of those CB-750A's back then. All I ever did was assemble/setup and the first inspections. Never saw them after that, guess that they were reliable, problem-free, and well cared for. The owners seemed to be like the professional, doctor/lawyer, non-gearhead types that didn't learn to drive stick. Real mushy performance, probably last forever...

Not everybody is a canyon carving knee dragger or Jay Gleason running thru the gears. It's a nice bike with a good torque band, and fun to cruise on.

Glad you like yours. No disrespect but 2 speed automatic motorcycles were and still are a limited market. OP was asking about value and my opinion is they aren't likely to become high value collector bikes, but I've been wrong before. :shrug:

I haven't kept up, but I bet a 78 750a would bring more than an equal quality counterpart. But that is usually controlled by the numbers available in reference to collector status. Look what they are starting to get for Water Buffaloes, Kaw triples, or maybe a rotary. I never thought I would see future value in a ratty sounding, junk Mach 1 or 2.

Some people wear Argyle socks...Never saw a need for them, but hey, if it floats your boat then sail on....

my buddy has a hondamatic 750 love it I fixed the carb this past summer rides great just hard to get use to stoping with out the clutch

Honda Automatic are rare and not that many sold. More CM400 and 450 sold for Honda.
I have done a CB750A chopper and have done a couple CM450 choppers too. All the parts from a regular 750 fit except the auto part. Put a 836 kit in one and they fly. We use to keep one in the Honda Dealership as the lunch getter because you could hold the lunch in one hand and still ride HAHA. In 2002 I sold a 1976 Brown one that was never titled and had 660 miles on it for $4500.00 to a guy in CAL. Would love to make a nice Trike from EXTREAME with a Auto bike would be AWSOME!!!
Here is a 450 I did.

Attachments

• 450cm.jpg
    450cm.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 129
Back