How BAD is it???

tons

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just started changing the oil in a bike I just bought...I took out the oil filter and it was covered in metal shavings!! How bad is this?? What could it be?? Was I had by the PO??

Hello.

Most likely, yes! It was the same for me. The filtermesh was more or less covered with shavings and some rubber. The camchain front guide was in bad shape and the chain had start to grind the metal on the guide.

Good luck with the overhaul, you´ll probably need to take a look inside the engine.

/BigBoreSwede

will I be able to tell by taking the head off or will I have to tear it apart...cause i really dont want to do that. This might turn into a bigger winter project than I thought!

Yeah that´s right.

Then you´re able to see the condition of the guide or/and tensioner. I would also lift the cylinder of since oil leak may occur due to the release of pressure to the bottom gasket. If the engine is "new to you" now´s the chance to have a closer look which condition the engine is in.

I´m in the middle of my overhaul and it´s really fun and you´ll have GREAT help from all the nice people here on the forum:thumbsup:

/BigBoreSwede

What you could be looking at is a build-up from many thousands of miles. P.O.s are noted for abusing these bikes (like never cleaning the filters). I'd run it for a while and check the filters at every oil change (every 1000 miles). Maybe it will clear up. Mine did but eventually I did go in. You'll probably need to as well but maybe not like "right now". Most of these are due for some top end work mainly due to their age.

the bike only has 9000 miles are you sure it needs to be torn apart?? The oil did look like it hadnt been changed in a long time!! Can I change it run it change it run it and see what it looks like then?? IF I do end up having to tear it apart then I will have an excuse to get the big bore kit:)!! Good thing its almost tax time! Only If I can get my wifes approval :banghead:

Did you remove the sump filter, or just the one on the side? The sump filter will probably be have a lot of aluminum and plastic. Its less a matter of miles, than age. If you're going to screw with old bikes, this is what you get. Buy a manual and ask for help here-it's not that hard. :)

John

No I havent removed the sump filter yet thats my next thing I got busy doing family stuff and watching kids. I have a clymer manual. Some other xs websites suggested not tearing into it right away?? Or should I since there is plastic and aluminum so I pretty much going to be a cam chain problem

Did you remove the sump filter, or just the one on the side? The sump filter will probably be have a lot of aluminum and plastic. Its less a matter of miles, than age. If you're going to screw with old bikes, this is what you get. Buy a manual and ask for help here-it's not that hard. :)

John
The sump filter had no aluminum compared to the oil filter does this mean anything??

No I havent removed the sump filter yet ...Some other xs websites suggested not tearing into it right away?? m

I think that's because some problems may resolve themselves and others may show up, if you wait awhile to start fixing things. But the sump filter - it's either broken or not right now. Would be best to check it out right away. Many ways to fix it if it's broken. My po used a fiberglass car body repair kit on it. Tighten the bolts back in a cris-cross pattern, and while you're at it, don't break them off :)

I think that's because some problems may resolve themselves and others may show up, if you wait awhile to start fixing things. But the sump filter - it's either broken or not right now. Would be best to check it out right away. Many ways to fix it if it's broken. My po used a fiberglass car body repair kit on it. Tighten the bolts back in a cris-cross pattern, and while you're at it, don't break them off :)

The sump filter has a pencil eraser sized hole in it, and and only a couple metal shavings but the oil filter had alot of shavings on it.

But you said you didn't remove the sump filter yet. You meant you didn't remove it off the plate and fix it yet.

Were the shavings attracted by a magnet? I had just a few steel shavings in my filter. Probably from the crazy ass starter gears I think.

Think your getting a little excited. I would change the oil and both filters and keep an eye on it.

The sump filter has a pencil eraser sized hole in it, and and only a couple metal shavings but the oil filter had alot of shavings on it.

Sounds like mine was with 15,000 on it. I replaced the sump filter and cleaned the side strainer up. I've changed the oil a few times since without seeing anything like the first time. If your compression is good, no funny noises, I'd run it. Plan on replaceing the front cam guide at some point.

I removed it since I wrote that, at the time I hadnt got to it yet. And yes they are attracted by a magnet...well some are cant tell if they all are since they are stuck to an oily rag right now. Does it matter if its kickstart only??

With a car if you see any metal shavings it's the kiss of death. Something bad has to happening before you see them. In the xs it's not a sign that something awful has happened necessarily. If the xs still sounds good, nothing bad happened, I think. The way you described what you had, I would change the oil again after a couple hundred just to help clean the engine maybe, like giving the insides a rinse :)

The plastic is more worrisome than the metal though. I don't know what that could be except the cam chain adjuster, in which case it's time for a new one. But still, if there's no noise, not important I would say.

Last edited:
To get to the front chain guide do i have to take jugs off or can just pull the head cover?? I dont have that big of a budget right now

Engine out head off to do the front guide. Add my run it, change the oil, check filters a few times vote. Replace or patch the lower screen the new one will tear again anyway.

Back