How BAD is it???

when i changed my oil i had all kinds of metal and rubber shavings in my filter. i popped both filter plugs, sump filter and pulled the starter - after sticking my finger in all her holes i found all kinds of pastic chunks, some a couple inches long. pulled the head and the front cam chain guide was tore up something bad, the cam chain tensioner arm was fine (though i replaced it anyway, i aint going back in a second time)

i guess what i'm saying is get your fingers up in there and check for large chunks of plastic that got stuck prior to the filter.

very easy and cheap engine to work on. the hardest parts are getting the engine out of the frame and cleaning the damn thing.

Well I got the motor out today what all do you recommend I do while its out just whats necessary I on a pretty tight budget right now. Whats a good solvent to clean the sump filter with?? And the inside to get the rest of the gunk and shavings and plastic out?

If you're not putting in new rings, take the rods loose from the pistons and leave the pistons in. Otherwise the rings will have to seat again.

it all depends on what the cylinders look like, and I may put on new rings dont know yet but may as well while im in there

well, he said it ran fine. I suggest, if I may , clean both filters, adjust cam chain tensioner, fresh oil, run it for a couple hundred miles, do it again, and keep doing it till there isnt any more shit in the oil. since you say the bike was a bit ruff, ill bet the po hasnt touched the chain tensioner.
if it seems like you have just rinsed the hell outta it with fresh oil, and tension adjuster, and still have junk floating around, them it will most like ly need a new chain guide. you prolly need one now, but it may last al ittle longer with a correctly adj. chain.
that should buy you time for some upper rebiuld parts.
oh, make sure you use motorcycle specific oil. dont know your experience. i use rottela t-6.24$ for 4 qts.

He already passed on that advice from most of us and tore it down, lol. OK, now that you're in there - measure the ring end gaps and replace if out of spec, replace the front cam chain guide, cam chain, valve guide seals and of course all gaskets. Hone the cylinders if you replace the rings, don't if you don't. Check the valves for leaks and hand lap any that do. Don't worry about pulling the pistons out and breaking the ring seal. That's some old wife's tale. You can remove them and reinstall with old rings and they will seal again. I've done it many times.

I bought some rotella 15w40. And there was ALOT of aluminum and plastic so I going to change the guide now, whats the best way to flush the rest of the motor??

Old wives' tale maybe, but only if it's also an old wives' tale that the cylinders and rings wear in an oval cross section instead of a circular one.... But ...probably wouldn't matter unless really bad.

I bought some rotella 15w40. And there was ALOT of aluminum and plastic so I going to change the guide now, whats the best way to flush the rest of the motor??

Well, if it's apart you could take it to the car wash and hose it down. Get it dry fast.

What did the guide look like? Real torn up?

you should have seen the filter!! I should have taken a picture there was shit everywhere and if plastic is breaking off wont it continue to do so? Why not take it out its 5 degrees outside and atleast Ill know what I have. The motor is still together I can put it right back in it wont take long. If you just bougt a bike and saw all that would you keep running it not knowing what the po has done to it? It will be a good learning experence and some father-in-law bonding time I can learn alot and it seems like a good time to do it

If I had it out of the frame already and it had had the kind of stuff you describe in the filter I would go ahead and take it apart. But if it was still in the frame, I'd probably continue to run it, but I'd always be a little leery of it.

Ya I dont want to worry everytime I ride whats going on in there, I guess its not that big of deal if the guide is falling apart? Ill take a picture I bet its bad. AND I can just hose it down at the car wash? Whats the best way to do that

That's what I -might- do, if it was summer :) Otherwise, I might use kerosene and rags and brake cleaner. Keep the iron and steel parts oily when you're finished.

Good luck. It'll be fun. I've rebuilt car engines only so far. It was fun. Check everything while you're in there.

While you had it open I would wash it out with diesel, then use a magnet on a stick(about2 bucks at parts store) and run around inside. If it never had its oil changed it might be "new engine making it fit" shavings. Or you could just sell it to me :) not many around these parts.

What I might try to flush it out is with the rocker box off, pour a gallon of kerosene or deisel in from the top, around the cam. With the drain plugs in place. rock the engine around to slosh the kero/deisel around, drain out, repeat till you think you have it cleaned out.
Then go ahead and pull the head, change the guide and chain. If you think it may need rings. Take the cylinders to a machine shop and get them checked for out of round and taper. Take the pistons and rings get them measured so you can check the piston clearance and ring end gaps.
If they check out in tolerance then put it back together and be happy.
Most likely you might need at least a hone, and use the next over size rings filed for proper end gaps.
Maybe a first over bore.
Can't really say till you measure the parts up.

Back