How big are our stock tanks?

Ashaman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought they held like 4 gallons or so, but this morning I sputtered out of fuel on the highway into town and had to pull over. Derp, switch petcock to reserve, but when I got to town and filled up, it only took about 2.5 gallons. Doing the math put me at 54mpg, which sounds about right from what else I've read here, but are our stock tanks really that small? That gives about a 135 mile range, which seems more in the realm of a narrowed Sportster tank or something.

I guess that helps decide which model I have, which I'd never been able to figure out before. Evidently I have a Special. Cool. With a tiny tank. Not so cool. ;)

It's rather common out this way in to get a "Standard" tank for that extra gallon since it can be a long way/time between pit stops. Many also like the manual petcocks that go with them prior to 78' + models. Blue

Last edited:
sorry Blue, not true, (rhyme intended), the 78/79 Roadster/standard tanks had the vacuum petcocks. Found i had to cut the corners on my plastic side-covers to accommodate the roadster tank on my special, i also like the look of the bigger tank.

i have thought about cutting a standard tank apart and adding a inch or two to the width. This will increase the capacity, how much I'm not sure. For some of the long rides, like cross country touring a 6 gallon or so tank might be nice. That would give a better than 300 mile range.
Leo

Found i had to cut the corners on my plastic side-covers to accommodate the roadster tank on my special, i also like the look of the bigger tank.

Yep, they will ride the corners of the covers.....I just let 'em ride 'cause sometimes I like to go back to the Special tank-it's just a wee spot...

i have thought about cutting a standard tank apart and adding a inch or two to the width. This will increase the capacity, how much I'm not sure. For some of the long rides, like cross country touring a 6 gallon or so tank might be nice. That would give a better than 300 mile range.
Leo

Hmm...a nice 2 inch cover of chrome running down the length over the add on.....

sorry Blue, not true, (rhyme intended), the 78/79 Roadster/standard tanks had the vacuum petcocks. Found i had to cut the corners on my plastic side-covers to accommodate the roadster tank on my special, i also like the look of the bigger tank.

Thanks Skull....put mouth in action before engaging brain....I actually said that after having a bought a beautiful green 78' E tank on Ebay with vacuum petcocks last year and I have it now in the garage. Aint old age grand?

Appreciate the correction! Best, Blue

Back