How do i get this thing off?

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The little cover on the right side case has a filter element in it right? i cant get it off. i can get the right case off, i can get the allen bolts out but that thing doesnt want to come off. does it get stuck for anyone else? HELP!

Yes , there is an element in behind the cover. Possible that the PO used some type of gasket sealer/glue when He was in there. after You remove the fastners, GENTLY pry on one edge of the cover. It should pop off.

When they are really hard to get off I use my tool.
Since this picture I cut the bolts off and welded them to the handle. might be over kill for one bike but most new to me XS650's have these covers held on with some sort of sealant.:banghead:

Side oil filter cover attached for the ages. hmm......... this worked well, two 1/2 bolts two 1/2 holes on 2 7/16" centers drilled in a suitable heavy chunk of bar. The bolts actually lightly thread into the recesses just enough for them to be nice and snug without creating any damage. keep the bar tight to the cover to reduce twisting on the bolts.

From this thread http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37

oilfiltercoverwrench1.jpg

When they are really hard to get off I use my tool.
Since this picture I cut the bolts off and welded them to the handle. might be over kill for one bike but most new to me XS650's have these covers held on with some sort of sealant.:banghead:

Side oil filter cover attached for the ages. hmm......... this worked well, two 1/2 bolts two 1/2 holes on 2 7/16" centers drilled in a suitable heavy chunk of bar. The bolts actually lightly thread into the recesses just enough for them to be nice and snug without creating any damage. keep the bar tight to the cover to reduce twisting on the bolts.

I must be more dumb than I thought. I don't get that one. And I have already tried using pliers (putting each side in the holes) and using a screwdriver/crowbar to twist it and nothing happens...

From this thread http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37

oilfiltercoverwrench1.jpg

Posted via Mobile

1/2" bolts will lightly bite and thread into the two holes. grab a crow bar lever it between the bolts and twist. That's how I use the tool, get the bolts in as far as they'll go and tap the end of the handle the cover pops loose every time.

Back