how do I get title for xs650 in Indiana

scranm

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought an xs with no title. I had the police run a vin check and it is fine. Where do I start this process and what is the best way to get a new title? thanks

I bought an xs with no title. I had the police run a vin check and it is fine. Where do I start this process and what is the best way to get a new title? thanks

go to the cort house or BMV and ask them they should know and or have the paper work to get you started it's a pain in the but here in ohio :bike:

Might have been the hot setup to have that answer before you bought it. Kind of a big hassle in Texas now. A bonded title is the only option you have nowadays down here. Used to be able to slap on a mechanics lein but now you can't do that without the title holder's signature on a work order estimate for the work in question. So, any of you fellas working on bikes or cars, trucks, airplanes, farm equipment, etc. Might get a good read in on what they changed about 4 years or so back, BEFORE you need to know the answer.

Indiana is a good "get a title" state if you know the drill and are a resident.

I think the out of the system for 20 years gets rid of the certified letter requirement above, I have gotten indiana title without it..

Hi scranm,
best you did that before you parted with the cash?
Too late for that now so get out your prayer mat and begging bowl and go grovel in front of the DMV Nazis.
Or part it out.
Odd that it's easier for thieves to sell a bike in pieces than for honest folks to put one back on the road.

I live in indiana and been through this. you will have to have a vin check,fill out a paper from the bmv website to file for a lost title,a signed receipt from who you purchased it from, send a certified letter to the last person it was registered to and keep the receipt, you have to get the letter back and bring all that paper work to the bmv. showing that you have tried to contact whoever it was last registered to and they are not disputing you getting a title for it and that it is not stolen. it may be a little easier elsewhere in the state but the branch where I live were real jerks about following every last detail. it was a serious hassle. I will never buy anything else without a title good luck bro

I believe the procedures here in Indiana have just been revised (last year ?) rybeatty is correct I believe. I think there may have been some added hoops to jump through. I asked about it at the local BMV and was given a stack of papers to go through and fill out. I'd see if you can track down a previous owner and ask them to file for a lost title, then do a transfer. I did that years ago also.

Back