Old Bread and Butter

The fun really started when I pulled the tank and discovered the frame rails have been cut. Not all that uncommon in the750K world, it is the only way to remove the valve cover without pulling the engine. My theory, it had one wrung off cover bolt and and one I had to beat to death to get it off. Either the motor has been out or someone messed up on an attempted repair on the fasteners. I ordered a frame repair kit but it is a lot more to do before I try and hunt down a good welder. Little things keep coming up on this one, rear wheel bumpers had to be replaced, all of the engine covers are secured with a dress up kit from the 70's that involves studs installed in the case with fancy little pointed nuts. I have a mason jar full of the little buggers that I have replaced with stainless allen heads, but still have more to go. I am pretty sure the previous owner must have had a disco ball mounted somewhere on the bike in its heyday with all of the added period bits. It even had a vintage oil cooler installed that the base mounted on the filter, never seen one before. The missing parts list has gone over to page 2 and I have been living on eBay searching and ordering. I will post some occasional shots as I go along, but this one is going to a long drawn out process......

Attachments

• DSC05027.JPG
    DSC05027.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC05029.JPG
    DSC05029.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC05032.JPG
    DSC05032.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 49
Frame rails are back after some very expensive welding and a frame kit from Carpy's Cafe Racers. Finished up the arse end, shocks, sprockets, chain, K-70 tire so forth. Goes up on blocks next week for a new front end, stock fork tubes, tire, brakes, and the fun part wiring. I did install a blade fuse box and did away with the glass fuse set up. Like Yamaha blocks, they don't age well and break if you breathe on the prongs. I am just entering the tunnel but starting to see a little light at the end.

Attachments

• DSC05050.JPG
    DSC05050.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05054.JPG
    DSC05054.JPG
    411.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC05057.JPG
    DSC05057.JPG
    413.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05052.JPG
    DSC05052.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 43
Frame rails are back after some very expensive welding and a frame kit from Carpy's Cafe Racers. Finished up the arse end, shocks, sprockets, chain, K-70 tire so forth. Goes up on blocks next week for a new front end, stock fork tubes, tire, brakes, and the fun part wiring. I did install a blade fuse box and did away with the glass fuse set up. Like Yamaha blocks, they don't age well and break if you breathe on the prongs. I am just entering the tunnel but starting to see a little light at the end.
Great work - it almost inspire me to start my own, have a ‘77 cb750f2 in the garage that I took apart - however a handful of XS 650’s got in the way. But soon, I hope, it’ll be my turn. Unfortunately my engine don’t turn so let’s see if it’ll be worth it when I get to take the engine apart. Ups it’s a ‘77!

Last edited:
We got a new front end, the extended fork tubes now live at the dump as of today. I went ahead and replaced the entire front braking system, the inside of the caliber looked like carpenter ants had been living there. Wiring is next up with new handlebar switches and aftermarket wiring harness. Sometimes those Chinese colors can be a shade or two off, should be fun.....

Attachments

• DSC05058.JPG
    DSC05058.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC05059.JPG
    DSC05059.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC05060.JPG
    DSC05060.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 31
This one has fought back the whole way. Finished up 99% of the wiring. I ended up soldering a number of the old OEM ends onto the wires to get good tight connections in the bucket. At least "most" of the colors matched up. The process was slowed considerably thanks to a brand new defective flasher and a oil sending unit that decided to go bad in the process. I really thought I was getting ahead until I walked in the garage yesterday to find a large puddle of fork oil on the floor thanks to a blown seal. The seller I bought the forks from said he had recently installed new seals, so I took him at his word. Next week, back up in the air and new seals on both sides. I did find a good set of old Mac 4 into 2 exhaust that cleaned up decent, pretty much era correct. Ordered paint last evening, red/maroon with a gold stripe accent. I will really be glad to see this one leave the garage. The next one is going to be another XS650. these Hondas are kicking my butt.......

Attachments

• DSC05064.JPG
    DSC05064.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC05065.JPG
    DSC05065.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC05066.JPG
    DSC05066.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 28
It has gone around the block several times on a temporary bottle, runs pretty damn good. The clutch is somewhat grabby from sitting but seems to be clearing up with use. One of the worst jobs putting a Honda CB750K back together is the installation of the carb boots and stock air box. Four rubber boots on each side and a total of 12 clamps. Fun times and if you are lucky you end up with no air leaks.....

Attachments

• DSC05068.JPG
    DSC05068.JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 24
Back