How do I lower these forks?! 1976...

drake900

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've searched and read many many threads on lowering forks, but I pulled mine apart the other day and they don't have the spacer inside, and i never had to unscrew the dampening rod. The internals of my forks seem to be totally different from this thread.....

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7330&highlight=xs650+forks

here are pictures of my forks....

any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a TC bro's tail, and it appears that most people lower the forks 2.5" with this tail...is this correct?

Attachments

• P1010123.JPG
    P1010123.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 64
  • P1010124.JPG
    P1010124.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
yeah, I had emailed him....he no longer makes the part, and I have been unable to find any info on these older forks.

You do them basiclly the same as the others Put a spacer in for how much u want to lower them. The early forks the little spring I think stays in the fork when you pull out the dampening rod. The spacer goes on the rod and you slide it back in. I think you then have to take the spacer out that first comes out before the long spring to Make up the difference And maybe a little off the spring depending on how much drop.

Ahh good thread.. brings back memories. Going to add that to the tech section.

drake900, Your fork internals look very normal. You didn't have to "unscrew" the damper rods because the allen bolts on the bottom of the fork legs probably came out with no problems. The only time you need a damper rod holder is when those bolts just spin and don't come out when you try to remove.

Ive just put HD forks into my 79 35mm yammy tripple trees, man its sits high though, besides sliding the forks up through the trees a bit is there a way i can lower these '82 hd forks? thanks

Back