How do you pre-load your new tapered stem/neck bearings?

How do you grease non-sealed bearings?

• I use a grease packing tool

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I use a grease needle on a gun

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I throw a blob in the palm of my hand and rake it

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • I put some on the outside and call it good

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
While looking through the box of triple trees I noticed one set had tapered bearings already installed. COOL, no wait they are as dry as a popcorn fart NOT COOL.
So I got to wondering about a way to grease a pre-installed bearing. . . .
That led to thinking about the amount of grease for these. No seal to blow so can they be greased to much? Thoughts and or ramblings encouraged.

Last edited:
Hi 'rider,
I pre-load the Timken head races by adjusting them so the forks fall to the side when you nudge the bars, just like the crowded ball races the bike came with.
But re-packing them with grease? I drilled & tapped the neck M6 top & bottom and installed grease nipples.
Pump until grease oozes out and wipe off the excess.
Kinda messy but it beats tearing the front end down once a year to slather grease on by hand.

I have a grease packing tool for doing my trailer bearings. It came in handy for my neck bearings ;-) I put a good coat of grease on the stem too - keeps it from rusting in the tube.

Depends on the bleed ratio or oil separation rate of the grease, but initial packing regardless of tool or by hand for a-

tapered bearing packing by hand thru outside of rollers-

Grease quantity in oz = Outside diameter of bearing in inches X Bearing total width in inches X .04

tapered bearing packed thru outer shell (like a grease fitting or packing tool)-

Grease quantity in oz = Outside diameter of bearing in inches X Bearing total width in inches X .1

so, basically you'll waste a ton of grease using a bearing packing tool to achieve the same coverage.

The bearing packing tool I use now you don't waste any grease. It is a cup that you put grease into, then you set a piston on the grease. The bearing sets on the piston, there is a plunger that sets on the bearing. Push the plunger down grease comes up through bearing. Once full you lift out the plunger, lift out bearing, put the plunger back in, put on the cap.
This keeps the grease in the tool ready to use, no waste.
I have used the two part tools you use with a grease gun. Those do waste grease.
As far as the preload adjustment of the installed bearings I use the fall away method as described in the repair manual for my Harley.
Leo

Depends on the bleed ratio or oil separation rate of the grease,
I read a Timken article about this and the concern for over packing wheel bearings.

Would this be a consideration considering they don't really rotate and get hot?
I understand that with time it will "dry" out but . . .

I wouldn't worry about overpacking. And hand packing ensures all the grit that didn't come out when cleaning will come out when you pack.
They aren't wheel bearings, for Christ's sake. (well, they are but......)

I removed the steering lock from mine, it was broken when I got it, had no key and wasn't buying a new one... so welded up the hole in the stem and fitted a grease nipple on the neck in place of the steering lock. Barring air cavities it should fill the bearings from the inside out once worked through.

very good! I've been wondering if anything practical could be done to limit the volume and prevent the stem from coming out with a pound of grease clarped to it if dismantling was called for. As it happens... the next door neighbour has a piece of that sticking out of the side of his house and it looks just the right length. I dunno why he's put that there. I'll do him a favour and cement the hole up for him afterwards. plastic pipe cannot be used as a brick, but then he was a plumber not a builder.

I'm in the grab a few fingers of grease from the tub and work it into the cage/rollers before assembly camp. As mentioned these bearing don't "spin" and don't get hot so they won't throw off grease. I kinda think fitting a zerk and filling the neck is over kill. Check every year? I've seldom seen a stock bike stem bearing that looked like it had ever been greased.

Back