How is this attached?????

itrguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Opened up my clutch cover to address an issue with my shifter binding up... I found this large "washer" in the bottom of the case. I see where it goes, I just cant find a picture thats good enough to see how it is fastened to the bracket????

Attachments

• ss22.jpg
    ss22.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 155
  • ss23.jpg
    ss23.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 127
Washer is riveted. I have pictures on my phone but can't upload them. Pm me and I can send a pic. Now the real question is where's the rivet?

Rivet is nowhere to be found, dropped sump filter used flexi magnetic tools and flushed it good with oil. Its been funky feeling for awhile so who knows how long its been broken off. still shifts pretty good. I was thinking of reattatching with a clevis pin and c clip or somthing.

That washer holds the shift drum in place. The arm it mounts on is spring loaded. It pushes the washer against the pins on the end of the shift drum.
It being gone may not seem to effect the shifting, but it might let the drum turn and slip the gears out of engagement enough to damage the dogs.
I think the washer should be attached a bit more solid than that. I think the original rivet had a step in it. The step would be just wide enough so when the rivet was properly installed it was tight in the arm but loose enough on the washer to let the washer turn.
Leo

Ill take it off later, throw a bolt through it with a nut, keep a little loose, grind nut down a bit, tack it and be done with it!

I don't think a gun rivot with hollow middle would be the answer.
The old style solid pin in mild steel with a washer under the field head may be better.

i have a extra shift drum holder if you want it pm me with your address and ill send it out us mail or if you want it faster you can pay for shipping

Thanks Greg!! Just got it in the mail and installed it on my bike. There still are some good peeps out there... Thanks again!!

Back