How many XS650s have you owned? Poll

How many XS650's have you owned?

• Total voters

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering.... comments and such are welcome.

Rules; This is loose.
one engine plus one frame = one bike, title doesn't matter.

Yeah, I'm in that last wacko group, If I had to guess, 35? total
current list with titles,
4-70
2-71
1-72
2-73
3-75
1-77
1-78
4-79

:laughing: don't ask how many are running "today" it's a small number :banghead:

Last edited:
Right no I have 2 3/4. Two with titles 1 tagged and running. The other getting the motor rebuilt by me. Right now all I need is a new set of rings. Try to decide to decide 360 or 277. I have both cranks.You have rode both what do you think.

1980 Special Stock (Sold)
1979 Special Bobber
1978 Standard
1972 Standard (Pile of parts in the corner of the shop)
1973 (Parted out)
1977 (Parted out)

The parted out bikes had no titles and were not worth building, just cannibalized.

Sold my '81SG several years ago, regretted it ever since. Now have a chop based on an '81 frame, and an '83 Heritage. Also have a untitled frame, and most of an engine, but I don't count that yet.

Currently own my first and only one(so far), and I have to say I absolutely love this bike! Its an 81 special, matching frame and engine, with clean title. I am currently doing a cafe on it, just waiting on my tank and rear section to come back from paint, and the exhaust I ordered from Gordonscott, and I am just about done. Course mother nature keeps crapping on us with snow!!! I would definitely buy another one, but around here its hard to find them, and then people are asking an arm a leg for them. Plus I just wont buy anything without a title, to much hassle, so my options are limited, but I am on the lookout for another one!

Ive owned around 55 since my first in '78 (along with many other makes BTW) ..I have four at the moment & probably enough parts to build another 2or3... Id be rich now If I'd kept some more of them them :shrug:
.... Wish I hadnt sold my BSA's & Triumphs 25-30 years ago either when they were still inexpensive :banghead:

Down to 6 and one of those will be gone in a week.

Had 8 at one time.

Looking to keep 3 full time. A 74TXA, 81SG, (spent so much on it and still more to go i can't afford to sell it lol), and still not decided on keeping the 83, (my son more or less has that), or a 75 Frame with mag conversion and mags, 35mm forks, 81 Motor, 79 Standard tank, a factory electronic 5V4 wiring loom and ignition/Stator. Need a rotor with the magnet.

Parts and bikes are hard to come by or bloody expensive, its hard to sell anything.

US import 78E that has been stored properly and is immaculate
Link......$14,000.00

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 207
Only three. I bought a new '79 SF and now have a '78 rat and my 71b.

Back in the early 90's I bought a mid 70's XS/TX 650 for $50 and got it running. It was a fun bike until it stopped running. Probably points or ATU needed attention. At the time, I didn't care enough about it to keep it and traded it for a non running VW bug. Shortly after that I discovered I missed the ol bike and wanted another one for years. 10 + years later, the SG came up on CL. A good deal was made on a great bike. I'm keeping this one a looooooong time.

Last edited:
I own 4 at this time a 77 stock, 79 café style, a 79 with 80 jawa sidecar currently in the local high school paint shop and an 80 I'd like to rat someday. Also have other makes and dirt bikes, the wife says time to stop buying bikes when we retire south in a few years I'll have to move them. O well at least it will be warmer.

I had a 1970 XS-1 back in high school in early 80's...sold it back then :doh:

Current 650's are as follow:

1981 XS-650 Special II waiting to be street trackered.

1977 XS-650 standard mostly for parts and wheels for the street tracker.

1970 XS-1 beautiful runner and pretty well all original.

1971 XS-1B all original including the paint, bought from original 73 year old owner.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have owned three. A 78 standard i hacked up like a tard back in 2006. Then this beauty 74 tx650a i have now and will never sell. .Then a full parts bike 75 i never did anything with and sold (awful shape) . And a spare motor im slowly workin on. Did have a nice 680cc right from cases up motor i built and sold like a dummy...oh an 35 mm forks and .mags i should have kept so i cokuld swap back and forth for fun...and yes..drum rear mag..sigh

Just wondering.... comments and such are welcome.

Rules; This is loose.
one engine plus one frame = one bike, title doesn't matter.

Yeah, I'm in that last wacko group, If I had to guess, 35? total
current list with titles,
2-70
2-71
1-72
2-73
1-75
1-78
2-79
1-80
1-81

:laughing: don't ask how many are running "today" it's a small number :banghead:

thats a serious habit you got there Gary :D

The good news is there is an effective treatment available.......

Give some of your bikes away to us lot :thumbsup::laugh:

i have had just the one for nearly 2x years now and its my first XS650. I finished rebuilding the bike in December but never got the chance to ride it even 10 yards ...due to the weather .

Its a bit of a weird poll presentation actually ?
The same two people have owned 7-10 bikes 11-20 bikes and also over 20 bikes . Normally a poll would show just the one record ie 20+ bikes

Peanut poll seems OK to me?
Click on a number and see the names, I see different names in each category. You can only vote once. :shrug:

I have a total of 3 so far. The first was a 76 I picked up for an acustic guitar, that was my ex-wifes, that was previously hartailed but was in boxes and needed alot of work, the PO had bondo about 1/2" - 1" thick on the neck gussets and other areas of the frame. The 2nd was a 74 that had been flooded and was seized. Got it freed up and running and sold it for a nice profit. The 3rd is my current 81 chop which is more about expirimentation and was bought as a basket case for $300.

I'm sure its fine ......it just seemed odd to me how it represented the results but its probably a senior moment or brainfart :D

Neat how it shows the individual voters I hadn't been aware of that feature...... thanks

Back