How much does your XS650 weigh? A how-to.

on three titles I have, each says the xs650 weighs 1850#'s!!
Anybody else see that on their title/registration?

Had a goofy weight question when I renewed my RV tags.

DMV lady: I need to put your load weight into the computer.
ME: Well, the data plate shows the loaded weight as 13,500 lbs.
SHE: No, no. How much can it hold?
ME: Well, with furnishings, clothing, personal effects, groceries and such, I suppose about 6000 lbs.
SHE: No, no. Not THAT stuff! Does it have any holding tanks?
ME: Yes, 2 greywater tanks, 1 blackwater tank, and 1 freshwater tank. All 40 gallon, for a total of 1280 lbs.
SHE: No, no, no. Not all of those. How much is the freshwater tank?
ME: Well, that's 40 gallon, which is 320 lbs.
SHE: Fine. That's what I needed.

So, my 36 foot 5th wheel RV's title now shows 320 lbs.

I expect that, at some time in the future, bureaucrats will be researching vehicle statistics.
Then, an alarming report will be broadcast:

THE EARTH'S GRAVITATIONAL FIELD IS VASTLY DIFFERENT BETWEEN WASHINGTON STATE AND TEXAS!!!

its the accumulative weight of all the rain we get!!
I think when you weigh a bike with one scale, your suppose to average the weight of the two readings, im not sure. I will ask my wife about it. She's been driving combo's for nearly 10 years.
When I built my chop, very minimal, I weighed the wheels, then the motor, tank, frame forks separate. I think it added up to 395lbs.

My race bike weighs 306 lbs. (on certified scales) with a C&J frame, 1 gallon of gas in the tank plus 2 qts. oil, brakes at both ends, but no street wiring or equipment.

No offense, TwoMany, but Shell never built a bike for KR. He did for Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Hank Scott and others, but never KR. Bud Aksland, a motorcycle dealer in Modesto, CA began sponsoring KR in 1968 and was his engine builder - first privately and then in concert with Yamaha when KR received factory sponsorship - for all his XS-based flat track bikes including the final OU powered versions.
(I found this out when I interviewed Bud in 2008 for an article I was writing.)

Craig! No offense taken. Good to know, thanks.
Those California boys had a lot of secret stuff going on back then. We're fortunate that you were able to research and dig-up the insider dirt on the happenings back then. You've published an excellent book on this.

Highly recommended reading: Http://www.650performance.com

on three titles I have, each says the xs650 weighs 1850#'s!!
Anybody else see that on their title/registration?

Hi angus,
assuming that the DMV used the stock weight out of the book not knowing the weight was in Kilos and accidentally added a zero, they got it right!
185 Kg = 407 lbs, same as Clymers sez for an XS-1.
Note that my framed Yamaha poster sez my 1984 Heritage Special's dry weight is 467 lbs.
Seems like XS650 riders aren't the only ones to put on 60lbs in 13 years, eh?

for me, the fun comes from seeing how much you can remove from these various 70's era Japanese bikes. very rough mock up of my 10th or so build attached. getting "light", a relative term here with all that steel, doesn't have to be high $$ if it's all DIY. this one should come in around 340# with the YZ 125 wheels- which incidentally have perfect swap axle diameters (will put street rubber on).

i figure the motor at 150#, chopped frame swingarm shocks at 80, forks trees 25, wheels tires 50, misc necessary lighter parts including custom exhaust at 35. no battery or battery box, minimal rewire, no fenders, gauges, etc...

Attachments

• IM004179.jpg
    IM004179.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 225
Back