How much to sell 79 xs650 special for?

^ Yes unless you just want to do the work I would question the ROI of a new top end on a bike I was going to sell.

I did the overhaul before I had any notion of selling the bike. Rode it one full season before succumbing to the urge for a new bike.

Yes, I remember. And even then you had regrets. I was jus sayin it is hard to get your money back for improvements on these. A fair to middlin rider will fetch 1 -1200, a nice looking well kept rider 12-1400. After that you are pretty much giving away any upgrades or improvements. It is the same for cars/ trucks and mobile homes. Kingwj had his '79 F up for quite awhile before he found a buyer. The crazy money is for the early models imo.

but what gets me is the Super high price of Newer machines ! I mean well over $10,000 bucks for a 2 year old 750 or 1000cc plus machine
and cars are Scary ! it's hard to find a used car for under 10 grand here ! there are very few Old machines , Cars or bikes the rich people from the bay area have come up here and they all want boo-koo bucks for their stuff.... and try to sell Used things at next to New prices !
I mean if I was going to pay $10 grand for a bike I'ed just buy a new one .... and paying that much for a used car is ridiculous to me
because you get someone else's problem then !
I guess you could say I'm suffering from "Sticker Shock" after looking at prices of stuff ! so I figure if everything else has gone up that much the XS650's value has too ! but most people are still selling them way too low ! it's weird !....LOL....:laugh2:
Bob.......

40 years ago You could buy a 12x64 mobile home for $1200 bucks easy, today that same mobile home will get you $15,000.
that is an inflation rate that is unprecedented ! a new 14x70 mobile home will set you back $54,000 bucks (at last check about 6 years ago.)
.....things like Mobile homes and Automobiles and new bikes have gone through a Super high price hike in the last 20 years.
and the bad thing is the price Hike is not slowing down, they are continuing to go up on a daily basis !
for people on a fixed income like myself that means you have to scrounge for your deals quite hard .
I don't know where it will end , but it shows no sign of slowing down .... I get cold chills when I think about it !
Bob...

I bought this standard last Nov off of a ad on this site. He was asking 1500.00. I was thinking of using it for my scrambler project but it was just too nice to destroy. There out there all the time. I`d be willing to bet that everyone on this site knows where there is a XS650 for sale right now. A bike is only worth what someone will pay. There is no Kelly Blue Book on sentimental value. The only book that buys a bike is the check book.
. 1979 Standard 001.JPG

Well, this thread has Helped ....Me anyway,.... as I will drop my price to $2,000 instead of 3k.... I gott'a be Close anyway to reality ! LOL
if someone offers me $2 grand for it I'll sell it, I can't replace it for that but perhaps I could find a Dirt bike for that ! maybe !
..... I like to have a Realistic price on everything I own.... just incase I get an offer on something ! LOL
Bob......

Bike like that would bring between 41/2 and 6 K here in OZ Bob and even with the current exchange rate that's still OK. I 'suppose that's a useless piece of info for you, being over there. Oh well,don't want you to get discouraged.

...that is an inflation rate that is unprecedented !

I hear ya, Bob.

I use a 6% inflation rate as a guide to translate values starting from 1970, about when our monetary system changed. Prices double every 12 years, so use the formula 2 to the (Y/12) power, where Y=years.

40 years works out to 2 to the (40/12) power, or about 10 times the older pricing.

It's like the "boiling frog" story. Throw a frog in a pan of boiling water, and he jumps out. Put him in that same pan, with room temperature water, and he'll stay in. Now, turn on the heat, the water slowly warms up, and the frog will just stay in there until he's cooked.

When we're young, we're like that frog.

Now that we're older, ......?... Hey, waitaminit!

LOL ! Well that's something at least ! HEHEHHE !
Have you been riding much David ? you haven't said much lately on here so I was wondering if you've been oyt running the tires off that bike or not !?!?!?
I haven't rode mine in a couple of weeks and it's starting to get to me ! .... LOL
Bob..........

Ain't that the truth 2M !!!!! some times I feel like the frog that just stayed in though ! HA !
all cooked up and no place to go !
......:laughing:
Bob....

The crazy money is for the early models imo.
Something I've noticed with other collectibles is that when the first tier reaches a certain price level, the lower tiers become collectible and rise in price and take their place. Would be especially applicable with these bikes since the later bikes are actually the best...

it's hard to find a used car for under 10 grand here !
That can't be true. Around here $500 will get you a car that runs, and it's been that way for 30 years. Ok, 1000 might get you what 500 did back then, but still 500 will get you something that runs.

Well, a Good used car, not a junker, will be 8K to 12K and don't even look at pickups even Junkers are 5k and up
but it's a very ambiguous thing, what sells for $500 bucks around here is 2 steps away from calling the "we haul away old cars for free guys"
they almost always smoke and won't pass smog, that is why their so cheap and in Shasta county you must pass Smog every other year
... sure there are cheap cars around but rarely anything worth spending the money they want for it to buy it ! it's more like You pay me and I'll fix it ! LOL ... with both of my cars pushing 350K miles I am seriously considering another vehicle, but in all truthfulness it looks like I will rebuild them instead ! rods mains and rings and have the head sent out. I discovered that Napa auto parts has Rebuild Kits Now... close to $300 bucks but it is the best option I have seen yet.
I do not like the idea but I can do it, as I've done it before a bunch of times !, never on a Toyota but there is always a first time .
You must Remember , I live in California.... it's not like other states their crazy here !
I have a 68 dodge truck back at the Ranch it's one of those in the $500 dollar range , I tried to sell it for $500 and never got a single call on it
so it sets LOL..... it did run before the squirrels ate the spark plug wires has a 318C.I.D eng, and 3spd automatic with a 4-11 rear end
it will pull a mountain but at the expense of gas ! about 11mpg that I got up to almost 20mpg before I parked it
it is about the average $500.00 car in the Redding area.... Totally useless, it costs more to make right than it is worth !.... a Junker !
The XRL 650 single is following that Collectors thing you mentioned even old ones are expensive i've noticed they have been making them for decades and their a good reliable bike I bought one from a guy in Red Bluff 50 miles away and got it for $800 which was a reasonable price I thought if it was everything he said... it wasn't I had to replace the piston and rings then it ran fine.
it melted into a puddle in the fire at the Ranch and I miss that o'l bike ! it was a sedate machine that could go anywhere
it wasn't a MX 360 by any means it was sedate, not an animal ! you really had to work hard to get the front wheel off the ground
it wasn't quick, but it was a great old mans bike ! LOL
I saw a used one on CL a week or so ago $2700 bucks and it was an 86' I think, looked in great shape and licensed ....
.....i wonder if he would trade straight across for my xs650 ? LOL

lol
Bob......

Thank you everyone for your help on this. I ended up listing it on this site and others for $1400 with the bobber parts. If your in Michigan and interested let me know.

Halfmile,

Did I miss out on a cheap one? I'm in hutchinson and looking... whenever I see one on craigslist I'm either too late or they don't answer...

Back