How to change the oil in your Harley

Yesterday I met a Honda rider with a bike in the garage getting a new headlight bulb.

Yesterday I met a Honda rider with a bike in the garage getting a new headlight bulb.

Weekenders ride everything. I mean, hell, at the moment I'm almost one, I don't get to ride to work. I like H-D I just refuse to pay a premium just for the name.

There's a mint, family-owned '94 Sportster 1200 in my Uncle's garage that he puts less than 200 miles a year on. Gorgeous bike, all original except V&H Straight Shots. Was originally my other Uncle's, who bought it new and lost interest in riding after about 10 years. I can't wait to get my hands on that bike, it will be mine.

~ Derek

One of my co-workers paid $540 bucks to get 2 tires installed

I'm used to paying literally $20 a tire, and the guy does it by hand. But the cheapest I've found down here is $40 and he has hydraulic machines and is solely in the tire installing business.

That's $100 an hour to change a tire.

In fact the Honda guy I just mentoned told me about the $40 guy, only he said he was $20. All-round useless.

True tale guy I know bought a new "big Cruiser" After a few miles it never really ran right dealer couldn't fix but "helped" the guy throw all kind of aftermarket "performance enhancers" on it fuel injection remap, ignition modifier, loud pipes, you know probably $4K "worth" of stuff, it still never ran "right". Finally guy takes it to an independent "guru" who starts ohming out EVERY wire and connection. While researching he finds a forum and "lo and behold" lots of reports of this specific issue with the fix, failing connections due to how a wiring connector had been strapped to the chassis. Sure enough couple of solder joints, problem solved. The FACTORY had never issued a TSB much less a recall so the dealers were unaware of this being a easily solved model/year specific issue. Guy seems to still be loyal to "his brand". I sure wouldn't be.

Been riding a long time. Lots of bikes in many lands. Funny thing about attitudes, bikes and horses; never saw one that made the man nor much sense anywhere. Don't wear one...you'll see fewer. Blue

HD's are great.

Before rich people started riding them the cops would stop any motorcycle with a noticiable exhaust note.

Now my Peashooters don't even lift an eyebrow,

I had a Pacific Coast (PC 800) that would take an unpleasant hour and a bit of lost flesh to change a head light bulb on.

It was great for getting groceries though.

But did you like the PC800 aside from that? Always seemed like they would be a good "gettin around" bike. Like my SV650, but with a trunk!

Hmmmm... Yamaha FZ1 owners think XS owners are pretty cool. We also just pull off and leave Harley riders in the dust! Hahahaha!

And, I don't have to stop at every Yamaha dealership along my ride either ...oh, and I wear a full face helmut and real gloves and boots... not flip flops and a bitchin HD wife beater.

-:laugh: This IS fun!

But did you like the PC800 aside from that? Always seemed like they would be a good "gettin around" bike. Like my SV650, but with a trunk!

I had an SV too. There ain't much those bikes have in common but I like them both. The PC is hands down the most practical two-wheeler ever. It will cruise two-up at 80 all day - get 50 mpg in normal driving, it is electic-motor smooth, it requires almost no maintence, it will put a ton of miles on the clock (100K plus is common) has GREAT weather protection (especiallt with the tall windshield). It is nimble and filckable.

The trunk is GREAT, the back seat is like a couch.

The torque band looks like Kansas. 90% of Max torque at 1800 rpm or so. So, it never "comes on the cam" and there is never a rush of power. You get used to short-shifting since there is never a reason to rev it.

I was always sorry when I got to where I was going, 'cause I wanted to ride some more.

On the SV I always wanted to go faster on the PC I just got in the groove.

But you can get a FJ1200 for the money and, dat's a LOT of motorcycle.

ok not all harley riders are bad i got a sporty but i dont go into every harley-mall i pass.
most of the HD riders you guys are talk'd about are on the paymet plan and are in the H.O.G. and dont need to ride a bike in the 1st place. i dont realy ride my ironhead to much anymore im have'n to much fun on my xs's!

and i love the video of the old guy try'n to do a burnout :laugh: i LMAO

most the old timer's(real riders pans, shovels, ironhead riders) around here like the XS's but they also fix and chop trump's and harley's in my town alot! not just ride there baggers from bar to bar

ok not all harley riders are bad i got a sporty but i dont go into every harley-mall i pass.
most of the HD riders you guys are talk'd about are on the paymet plan and are in the H.O.G. and dont need to ride a bike in the 1st place. i dont realy ride my ironhead to much anymore im have'n to much fun on my xs's!

and i love the video of the old guy try'n to do a burnout :laugh: i LMAO

most the old timer's(real riders pans, shovels, ironhead riders) around here like the XS's but they also fix and chop trump's and harley's in my town alot! not just ride there baggers from bar to bar

Some of my best bros are still on hogs and ironheads but they're not the guys we pick on. I've owned 2 pans and 2 shovels over the years and hope to someday park a sporty (maybe an ironhead) beside my XS.

Some of my best bros are still on hogs and ironheads but they're not the guys we pick on. I've owned 2 pans and 2 shovels over the years and hope to someday park a sporty (maybe an ironhead) beside my XS.

i know its the Paymet plan a$$holes and 1%er dbags been mad fun of.

Back