How to change the oil in your Harley

DADDYG: No doubt yuppies bought the product, but it wasn't a trick, it was politics and influence at it's deepest form.:D

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2010/05/29...safeguards-save-harley-davidson-in-the-1980s/

Yes, it would have died without the tariffs in place, because they (the tariffs) were used as argumentative evidence by the new ownership to secure loans for the money used to develop the EVO motor, which, in combination with a good dose of Nationalizm, inspired by Reagan's speeches and the height of the cold war, made a certain kind of person believe in an American product again. They became a symbol of believing in America, Yups had the money, and the "new rich", continue to buy them to this day as status symbols, not as informed riders who make a logical choice. Not that they are a bad product, but "mystique" costs way too much per pound for this working class dog! Besides, owning on is all queered up by the yuppies anyway, I mean, do you really want to go riding, and be rolled up on by a college boy turd, who probably milks the public tit for a living through some research group or something, and have him "bro" you, like you have anything in common other than geography and a common posession? PLEASE!:wtf:
Ya gotta admit, almost everything in the field of transportation that was made in the US from about 79-83 was a huge peice of shit. H-D wasn't the only troubled manufacturer.:wink2:

Ya gotta admit, almost everything in the field of transportation that was made in the US from about 79-83 was a huge peice of shit. H-D wasn't the only troubled manufacturer.:wink2:[/QUOTE]

true enough those were not the golden years of American vehicles but HD had a head start on the shoddy quality trend and pretty much was its poster-child way before AMF kept them afloat and set all time low standards of quality control.

The motor company was dying out right along with the British manufacturers until the bowling ball folks came along. Too bad they couldn't make the bikes as simple of reliable as a bowling ball!

The motor company was dying out right along with the British manufacturers until the bowling ball folks came along. Too bad they couldn't make the bikes as simple of reliable as a bowling ball!

Actually, as the former owner of an AMF Superglide, they were pretty simple. Once you learned your way around them they were a DIY riders dream. Coils directly interchanged with Wisconsin engines and could be found everywhere. Much of the ignition and charging system was GM. 6 cylinder Chevrolet points work in old Hogs and Sportys. Any automotive rewind shop could fix the starter and alternator/generator because once you opened them up the looked just like GM cars from that same era. The circuit breakers were the same as used in every heavy truck in existence. Automotive headlamps...

Reliability, now was a different matter. Keep it in high gear on open road and those Hogs would be your friend forever but do a lot of stop and go, city driving, bar hopping, tire spinning, chain snapping... the way most guys ride them and they won't be around for long. H-Ds of the AMF years were built for 55 miles per hour all day long-- anything else and they tended to make you wish for a jap bike.

Learned it all the hard way.

I hear ya Bill. The thing was, (according to my father, and my older cousins) you could buy a Japanese bike and run it any way ya like, all day long, and that sells. Worry free performance is just as important today to a new buyer as it ever was. Old Japanese bikes were pretty much axe reliable until they began to be neglected. It's funny, we were talking about the guy the other day that wanted to go buy an XS and drive it 500 miles home as being a little overly optomistic, and I think that was a fair assessment. However, I will go home tomorrow, and with about an hour of prep time, I'll get on my 10 year old 68K mile SV650 and take off on a 3K mile trip without even blinking. It's a confidence issue. Familiarity and reliability is confidence inspiring. Some folks are much more familiar with the shortcomings of given makes and models than I am. That being said, once a Make, or model within it's line, gets a well deserved reputation for lack of reliability, it's stuck like boogers on the back of the couch.

One of these days, I'd like to get one of these XR1200Rs and try to whittle about 70 pounds off one. Most interesting model in a while, as far as I'm concerned. Liked the "idea" behind the V-rod, but think they are ugly and too raked out. Would like to see that motor with more of an FXR stance. Make it weigh less than 650 pounds, and keep the radial tires,and it would be a BLAST!

I hear ya Bill. The thing was, (according to my father, and my older cousins) you could buy a Japanese bike and run it any way ya like, all day long, and that sells. Worry free performance is just as important today to a new buyer as it ever was. Old Japanese bikes were pretty much axe reliable until they began to be neglected. It's funny, we were talking about the guy the other day that wanted to go buy an XS and drive it 500 miles home as being a little overly optomistic, and I think that was a fair assessment. However, I will go home tomorrow, and with about an hour of prep time, I'll get on my 10 year old 68K mile SV650 and take off on a 3K mile trip without even blinking. It's a confidence issue. Familiarity and reliability is confidence inspiring. Some folks are much more familiar with the shortcomings of given makes and models than I am. That being said, once a Make, or model within it's line, gets a well deserved reputation for lack of reliability, it's stuck like boogers on the back of the couch.

One of these days, I'd like to get one of these XR1200Rs and try to whittle about 70 pounds off one. Most interesting model in a while, as far as I'm concerned. Liked the "idea" behind the V-rod, but think they are ugly and too raked out. Would like to see that motor with more of an FXR stance. Make it weigh less than 650 pounds, and keep the radial tires,and it would be a BLAST!

You make some excellent points. I found the Superglide to be much more comfortable on long trips than the CB750s I rode back then as the 4s had a high frequency buzz that really bothered my hands to the point of complete numbness but other that that it excelled hands down over the hog. But had I ridden an XS for more than just a few miles way back when I might have ridden an XS all along. I have no issue with riding my XS 400-500 miles a day and anymore that's about as far as I'll drive my cushy soft Mercury Marquis.

Ain't that the truth. Ironic how the whole H-D thing is all about being an individual and stepping outside the norms of society, yet the next thing you know they are selling you gear so you'll look just like all the other 'individuals'. Sigh. :shrug: I guess I'll stick to my XS and my Jensen Healeys, really be myself.

Ain't that the truth. Ironic how the whole H-D thing is all about being an individual and stepping outside the norms of society, yet the next thing you know they are selling you gear so you'll look just like all the other 'individuals'. Sigh. :shrug: I guess I'll stick to my XS and my Jensen Healeys, really be myself.

I rode Hogs when everyone else was riding Jap bikes. Now everyone I know locally is on a Hog or a Hog Clone and I'm on a vertical twin XS. I guess we know who the individuals are.

It's too bad, really. I think Harley's are kind of cool, but the company has created a monster with the way they market the brand, and it has been well-argued that those who have bought into the image are ironically participating in a comical contradiction. I wouldn't want to point to any individual Harley owner, as that doesn't seem fair, but I do wonder why some of the bees don't believe they're part of the hive. It's not just the Harley mystique, I'm an equal-opportunity eyebrow raiser when it comes to all manufactured trends.

There was an annual event called the Oyster Run in my community last weekend. I leave my bike at home because I seriously don't feel safe riding in those packs. The last time I participated, I nearly got killed, and noticed a lot of really poor riding. So I went to breakfast instead. The parking lot was packed with Harleys, but there was one 70's-era BMW among them. Guess which bike everyone was hovering around. :)

Yup, modern Harleys and cruisers in general are boring and have no personality , you might as well put wheels on your washing machenie. Vintage bikes and vintage bike owners never have to try to look cool . We just are.

I notice a high response rate to the 'low wave" if I initiate it. Doesn't seem to matter if I am on my 1100 Shadow Aero which looks like a Harley on the road or if I am cruising on my 79 XS. You might find the same results if YOU wave at other riders. Yesterday was a beautiful ride day, the fall colors are going strong. All the riders were waving, because we KNOW what's coming, good riding days soon will be rare. Hope all you get a chance to enjoy the fall. The Slimy Crud run is October 7th. I also notice the "Wave" is often delegated to the passenger position. My wife takes on the duty back there if she isn't on her own bike.

Content of vague relevance; changed the oil and filter on a 73 that's coming back to life, the closest I have come yet to an "untorn" sump filter, only a small area of the bottom seam had let go, 13K showing on the clock.

I notice a high response rate to the 'low wave" if I initiate it. ,<snip>

I always initiate. I notice that the response is significantly higher on "small" bikes, nearly 100%

Bigger bikes, be they Harleys, Goldwings or liter-bike crotchrockets, tend to ignore me. Maybe one in ten.

Dunno why.

What's not to love about a 73' Aermacchi H-D X-90?...... the Duece probably ain't to bad either LOL jayel 66' Aermacchi H-D M-50

Those M-50's are getting hard to come by. I bought the X-90 for my son's 5th B-Day last year it has 1000 miles on it. Funny how some of these guys bash Harley's, guess they never owned one.

:(

I have owned 3 Harleys. I don't bash the bikes, just the new age corporate image that goes with them these days.

Heard that. I remember when I lived in FL and how I would see the fake ass bikers donning leathers and gloves in 100 degree heat. Posers ride all kinds of bikes including XS'S. As for image I run with ol dirty bikers and dont see the plastic culture much, (new age corporate image) nor do I care what they do. And yes my Brotherhood includes my Harley. Like my 5 yr old son, my ass sat on a Harley when I was a week old and been on em all my life. I also like XS'S and BMW's and most everybike that comes down the pike. I wont knock someone for what they ride or how much they make, who knows they might even be happy.

Last edited:
Bruce nicely put.
When you ride down the highway and a bike passes you and waves you wave back. Guy could be on a moped and i would still wave. Everyone has there own styles they like and who cares how much you put into your bike or not. Same as junkyard builders i love to look at there bikes because we all started there. I didn't wake up one morning and go to my new shop and build my first bike HELL NO i built it in my house in a spare bedroom with little tools and my pipe bender was a tree in the front yard. So i enjoy watching all styles of build and i had plenty of book smart guys walk into my shop with there matching wife with all there new HD clothes but you know what it was cool listening to what they had to say. I built my first bike in the 60's and just loved the sound and look. I also build many hot rods and loved them too. So as it says CAN'T READ A BOOK BY ITS COVER
OPEN IT you may meet a new friend.

Back